This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pain during hollow hold

Started by pagio, April 5, 2013 · 4 Replies · 210 Views

pagio

Hi, 
I'm doing bent hollow holds for a while and I get pain on the back ( middle to lower ) after some time, and only during the holds , after the exercise it goes away. The pain has the same feel like when i was doing crunches in the past. I have tried stretches mainly targeted on the back , bridges and cat cow but it does not look like its is improving :( I'm 1.87 cm and 93kg. The pain gets even harder when i try hollow rock. Any idea ? I will try to post a pic later to show you my form.

FredInChina

It is possible that the pain is caused by your psoas pulling on your spine.

Are you keeping the low back flat and strongly pressed into the ground? Can you tilt your pelvis using your abs & reduce the use of your psoas to hold your legs up?

This is very important.

Joshua Naterman

You may need to do some targeted spinal strength work for a while. Bridges and cat cows are not the kind of flexibility work that will target your specific issues. They are great, but bridges are extension and cat cows are primarily thoracic flexion and full spine extension. You, assuming you are not harboring past injuries, may need to do some specific, safe lumbar flexion stretches.

 

What is your spinal injury history?

pagio

Are you keeping the low back flat and strongly pressed into the ground? Can you tilt your pelvis using your abs & reduce the use of your psoas to hold your legs up?

 

My back is flat and strongly pressed into the ground. By tilting the pelvis you mean something like moving the tail bone higher ? I can do that but i'm not sure I'm doing it every time. I ll try it on the next session.

 

You, assuming you are not harboring past injuries, may need to do some specific, safe lumbar flexion stretches.

What is your spinal injury history?

 

No spinal injury at all , but poor flexibility (  can't do full bridge, not even close ). I'm going to search for lumbar flexion stretches, if you have anything on your mind it would be nice.

 

Thanks guys.

 

 
Tomas Johansson

If the pain is located to a small area like just one vertabre you might have an overcompensaiting joint in an othervise stiff spine. I have had that and most other back problems including an herniated disc. Another guess would be that you have triggerpoints in your psoas and iliacus muscles.