The conversation copied below from another thread asked if flexibility could sometimes be excessive and detrimental to jumping... I've had this conversation before in relation with kicking power: while some argued that flexibility was helpful in completely inhibiting the antagonist resistance, others were of the idea that a certain degree of stiffness allowed to "store energy" in the stretched tissues to be violently released, hence increasing the power generated.
I am of two minds on this question, and would really love to hear a debate between members of the community, or maybe a final answer from someone in the know. ![]()
acrobatlegend said:(...) does being that flexible (as Ricardo) hurt your tumbling power? I have a friend who is a gymnastics coach and he says that he thinks the reason he can bound so high (to do double backs and double fronts) is because he is so inflexible and can store up that tension in his legs and body.
Hari_Seldon said:Your friend is full of bovine fecal matter. I can do double backs, and I'm pretty close to double fronts. I have a middle split, I can touch my palms to the floor with straight legs without warming up, and I can do a pancake with my chest and stomach on the floor.
Good tumbling comes first and foremost from good form. You also need a good amount of strength to hold your body rigid and tense your calves. There's nothing that puts your limbs through an extreme range of motion, so there's no reason why inflexibility would help.
acrobatlegend said:I guess I was thinking more like, a super extreme amount of flexibility being bad for tumling. Like Ricardo in the video. Would someone like him be less powerful tumbling for whatever physical reasons because of his super flexibility?
Hari_Seldon said:I do not believe so, for the same reason stated above. Extreme flexibility may impair your joint stability near the extremes of your ROM, but tumbling, and punching in particular, does not involve any extreme ROM.
.