This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swallowing my pride, taking rest times seriously

Started by Kiyu, April 4, 2013 · 9 Replies · 430 Views

Kiyu

This week I failed to complete the sets for week 9. Not a complete surprise, because I cheated on form execution in week 7 just to finish all the reps. Even the deload week was tough. I am now taking several steps back and starting over at week 5. This time, I want to fulfill all reps, without taking breathers between sets. F1 mentioned one should not take any breaks between a strength exercise and a mobility exercise. This requires far more stamina then otherwise, even at low exercise levels, and stamina has always been a weak point. I will, however, take two minutes or more rest between different elements of exercises.

 

Seem good? Am I forgetting anything? Taking such steps is a major kick to my ego, but why kid oneself and sabotage long-term results through hubris?

mmm
Phillip Maessoumi said:

... I will, however, take two minutes or more rest between different elements of exercises.

 

...

Do you mean "between exercises of different elements"? E.g. two minutes between the planche exercise (PE+IM done continuously) and the manna exercise (PE+IM done continuously). I just want to be clear on your new plan.

 

BTW, nice job checking the ego and doing it right. I'm having the same experience.

Joshua Slocum
Phillip Maessoumi said:

This week I failed to complete the sets for week 9. Not a complete surprise, because I cheated on form execution in week 7 just to finish all the reps. Even the deload week was tough. I am now taking several steps back and starting over at week 5. This time, I want to fulfill all reps, without taking breathers between sets. F1 mentioned one should not take any breaks between a strength exercise and a mobility exercise. This requires far more stamina then otherwise, even at low exercise levels, and stamina has always been a weak point. I will, however, take two minutes or more rest between different elements of exercises.

 

Seem good? Am I forgetting anything? Taking such steps is a major kick to my ego, but why kid oneself and sabotage long-term results through hubris?

 

This is an excellent course of action to take. It is difficult to admit to yourself that you are not as far along in your training as you would like to be; you are to be congratulated for doing so. You will be well served by the plan you outlined above. The only thing I would add is to be sure to occasionally record yourself to check for form breaks, or ask a friend to watch you. 

Klaudius Petrulis

Kudos and props to you.  I may be doing the same soon.  I may have bitten off more than I could chew with the 5 day schedule and I don't think I'm recovering as much I'd like to be.

ChrisBR

I'm in the same boat as you Phil.  Was so happy to pass deck SQ + skiers for mastery but i took about 90 sec rests between the sets.    So it was either go on to the next level or swallow my pride and go back and do it right.  So here's to another couple months of getting to know my best friend SLS>PE1   :)

Samui

I probably need to take steps back with PPP... failed the mastery last time, the mobility element is just so brutal for this exercise but I can feel my shoulders growing. 

Kiyu
mmm said:

Do you mean "between exercises of different elements"? E.g. two minutes between the planche exercise (PE+IM done continuously) and the manna exercise (PE+IM done continuously). I just want to be clear on your new plan...

Yes, that is what I meant :)

 

Hari_Seldon said:

..The only thing I would add is to be sure to occasionally record yourself to check for form breaks, or ask a friend to watch you. 

I keep meaning to do that. Don't know why I'm being lazy about that..

 

And thank you all of you posters here for the kind words.

Andreas

What you did requires a lot of willpower, congratulations on that. It's a step that you might need to take again in the future.

 

That's why training with a partner or even better a coach is such a valuable tool, you are much less likely to cheat yourself.

Julian Wilson

Good point! I got through all the weeks for the exercises and I'm happy to say that I completed mastery for hinge row, bent hollow body hold. I improved so much but perhaps I'm not truly at mastery yet!

Devin Decoursey

I think my favorite part of this program is how apparent it makes your weaknesses.  I see people push through reps/weights they cannot handle, using poor form and making excuses for it.  They end up injured, take just enough time to "feel" good again, and do the same thing, with more weight and/or reps.  Form never improves, because they don't focus on mastery at a level they can handle, and the only "progression" that they worry about is more plates or faster times. 

 

The Foundation program shows you the way in intelligently measured steps.  It throws your weaknesses in your face, and asks for nothing short of perfection before allowing progression.  It teaches humility, which, if you are willing to learn it, will allow you to build a proper base and then up to greater heights. 

 

That being said, I have been finding that I have, in some cases, over estimated my ability, or perhaps lied to myself.  I need to take my own advice on this one and learn to be humble.  Taking small steps back now to prevent needing to seriously alter my course further down the road...