This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front delts get exhausted from Scapula shrugs

Started by MrPuppeh, April 3, 2013 · 20 Replies · 914 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi !

 

My front deltoids and upper chest get exhausted after the 2nd set of scapular shrugs ( sPL/PE1) 

 

Does this mean my form is wrong ? Or it means that my delts and chest have big weak points? 

 

Thank you ! 

Keilani Gutierrez

what week # are you in? 1-11? could be an endurance issue as long as you haven't been changing the tempo or are facing a moment where your recovery is being challenged. 

Jon Douglas

So what's the problem?

Klaudius Petrulis

It means you may need to roll back a few weeks.

MrPuppeh
KeilaniG said:

what week # are you in? 1-11? could be an endurance issue as long as you haven't been changing the tempo or are facing a moment where your recovery is being challenged. 

Im doing like this : Im starting at the set nd rep like week 1 and if its not challenging then the next training session i do the week 2 standart until i reach a point where it is hard and apparently this is th hard point ( 4x12  in week 9 ) I think Klaudius is right i need to roll back a couple of weeks and start from there doing the full week cycle.

chobbs

Why make it hard on yourself? Why not stay a bit further back from your edge and practice the skill of strength?

 

- Chris

Jon Douglas

So, in one week of training you move up 2-3 weeks worth of workouts?

 

I don't understand your logic in approaching this.

FredInChina
Charm said:

So, in one week of training you move up 2-3 weeks worth of workouts?

 

I don't understand your logic in approaching this.

 

hehehe, it's like taking a shortcut when no one is watching :D

Then, when you come home covered with mud, scratches and bruises, you whistle softly and ask what happened... ;)

 

We've all done that once or twice, haven't we?

ChrisBR

I'm feeling it in the shoulders as well.  For me it's the removal of rest between sets + the small added pressure to the shoulders during the PE as well as being used to big rests between sets.  It's amazing how when the PE functions as your rest time, what appears to be simple ain't so simple anymore.

MrPuppeh
FredInChina said:

hehehe, it's like taking a shortcut when no one is watching :D

Then, when you come home covered with mud, scratches and bruises, you whistle softly and ask what happened... ;)

 

We've all done that once or twice, haven't we?

Well then that means im running through too fast, ok gona take a few weeks back and start doing the full week cycles. That means that there is a LOONG road ahead of me then. It is because i read through the forums and see members who say that have already completed the majority of the F1 course but im just at the first exercise. By the time when i finish F1 everyone will be able to do Front levers and planches etc.

 

I guess i rushed because i didnt want to get left behind, my mistake then

Cannister
MrPuppeh said:

Well then that means im running through too fast, ok gona take a few weeks back and start doing the full week cycles. That means that there is a LOONG road ahead of me then. It is because i read through the forums and see members who say that have already completed the majority of the F1 course but im just at the first exercise. By the time when i finish F1 everyone will be able to do Front levers and planches etc.

 

I guess i rushed because i didnt want to get left behind, my mistake then

 

I've been working on PE1 for sPL and SL for over 8 weeks now and everything else I'm only on PE2... don't worry about getting "left behind."  If you rush through the work without properly mastering the exercises (correct form, tempo, no additional rest between sets, and mastering each paired mobility element) then all you'll do is end up stuck longer on a more advanced element later and increase your risk of injury.

 

Plus the faster you finish F1 the sooner you'll have to pay for F2 (or be stuck in limbo waiting for it to be released as some of our more advanced members are)!

 

There are plennnnty of people who will be working on F1 for a long time still.

N00dl3

Don't be discouraged man! Like Cannister said there are LOADS of us on here that are starting from the beginning and will be taking some time to move through! Worrying about where other members are is not a good mindset and shouldn't even be a concern! It is just like any other sport or really anything in life.... there is always going to be someone better than you and you are always going to be better than someone else, but YOUR journey should always be the focus.

 

We are lucky to have Coach lay out such a well thought out and progressive programme. Don't discard it, use it!

Richard Hamilton

Another one here on all PE1's... don't worry about it, just rinse the element your on for all its worth  ;)

Joshua Slocum
MrPuppeh said:

Well then that means im running through too fast, ok gona take a few weeks back and start doing the full week cycles. That means that there is a LOONG road ahead of me then. It is because i read through the forums and see members who say that have already completed the majority of the F1 course but im just at the first exercise. By the time when i finish F1 everyone will be able to do Front levers and planches etc.

 

I guess i rushed because i didnt want to get left behind, my mistake then

 

This isn't something you can rush. All of those weeks of progressions increase your strength. If you skip over them, you're moving to a more difficult part of the progression without increasing your strength. Doing that is like increasing your lap counter without actually traveling the laps; it might create the illusion of progress, but it doesn't change how far you've really gone. 

 

Also, there are people of all levels on these forums. From absolute beginners to people who have gone at it for years. You're not going to be 'left behind', because there are plenty of people who are right where you are. In a couple of months, you'll even be ahead of all the newcomers!

Joshua Naterman

Yep. Take your time.

 

If you're feeling the upper chest, you may be using more pec minor and less serratus anterior. The shoulders could certainly get tired, but the main fatigue, eventually, will be in your serratus anterior. This will feel like very, very outer upper chest and the sides of your rib cage getting tired.

 

It definitely sounds like you need to take your time on this one.

palleon86

I am another one who is working on PE1 for all 7 elements and I am going to repeat this mini-cycle for many of the elements after this weeks deload week.  No worries.

Julian Wilson

I find this exercise very hard when doing high reps. I know what you mean... I find myself not able to support myself using my shoulders after 4 sets of 12 reps lol. Take it slow, you'll get there!

Stephen Greer

MrPuppeh

 

What's your hand position? I've had this problem as well of anterior deltoid fatiguing, and just noticed that the gymnast in the video has his hands at 90 degrees. I've been keeping my hands pointed straight ahead. Just tried it with the corrected hand position and I hardly feel it in my shoulders, but much more in the ribs where it should be. Perhaps you're hand position is not ideal either?

ChrisBR
Stephen Greer said:

MrPuppeh

 

What's your hand position? I've had this problem as well of anterior deltoid fatiguing, and just noticed that the gymnast in the video has his hands at 90 degrees. I've been keeping my hands pointed straight ahead. Just tried it with the corrected hand position and I hardly feel it in my shoulders, but much more in the ribs where it should be. Perhaps you're hand position is not ideal either?

:facepalm: ........thank you.  my hand position was off too. 

Cannister

So I performed these today for the first time with my toes pointed similarly to how they are positioned in a Planche Lean - note that this is not how the athlete performs the exercise in the video.  However, I found that this change made me "feel" the exercise in the serratus much more.

 

Has anyone tried this?  I don't plan on working towards mastery in this style but it's something that people might want to play with.

Joshua Naterman

I like doing these with my feet on sliders.