Hey, just started doing Foundation One course this week and I have some trouble with deck squats. I am fine when I tuck and roll, but when I try to stand back up, I lose a lot of balance. Do I have to keep working on it or is there an alternative I can do that can build up to a perfected deck squats? ( Sorry if this is a repeated post )
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
How to Build up to Deck Squats
Started by Francis Kim, April 3, 2013 · 6 Replies · 267 Views
Try rolling to a squat and pausing there before you stand
This will help you think of driving forward (arms; hips) rather than up, if you drive up too quickly you will struggle with balance
I am currently on SLS/PE0.5 - which for me is a slight assist with my hands behind me as 'training wheels' to help me reachieve the squat position
As I get better, my intention is to use this less and less until I achieve the full movement and can run a cycle of PE1
Flinging the arms forward as you roll onto your feet, and keeping them there, should help you a bit. You should also have yourself laying on your thighs, like literally stomach and chest on the thighs, as you come up. This will be easier if you have your mouth open and allow air to escape, because it keeps you from getting in your own way (due to expanded rib cage).
The other thing that is really important is to get a fast roll forward. To do this, you need to really lift your body up when supine (on your back), and let the hips drop rapidly.
Michael: I like the PE0.5 haha
That's a good way to get the feel for deck squats.
Thanks for the advice, I will try them
Joshua Naterman said:Flinging the arms forward as you roll onto your feet, and keeping them there, should help you a bit. You should also have yourself laying on your thighs, like literally stomach and chest on the thighs, as you come up. This will be easier if you have your mouth open and allow air to escape, because it keeps you from getting in your own way (due to expanded rib cage).
The other thing that is really important is to get a fast roll forward. To do this, you need to really lift your body up when supine (on your back), and let the hips drop rapidly.
Michael: I like the PE0.5 haha
That's a good way to get the feel for deck squats.
Hey just did what you advised. Still a bit shaky on it but my PE0.5 has gone up to PE0.8. Thanks!
Glad they helped!
As you get better, keep attempting the odd rep without the assist to wean yourself off of it
Great! Keep up the good work! You'll get them in a few weeks. Once you've figured out how to do them consistently you'll find that you'll progress pretty reasonably on them.