This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't get hands to waist with Pseudo Planche Pushup (HBP/PE3)

Started by Nathan Brunskill, April 3, 2013 · 5 Replies · 384 Views

Nathan Brunskill

Hey Everyone, loving the simplicity and results I'm experiencing with F1. Though I have a question regarding HBP/PE3. I can currently perform a planche lean with hands at my waist, however I cannot initiate a pushup from this position without falling on my face....

 

I can currently only execute about 3 PPP the following ways:

 

1. with my hands hands placed a couple of inches above my waist, or

2. with my hands at my waist, but from my knees rather than feet.

 

So... as I am finishing up HBP/PE2 and moving on I'm wondering how I should approach this since I cannot do one rep of the next exercise as prescribed. Should I just start and, in theory, be able to gradually move my hands back as I move through the HBP/PE3 cycle? Or would it be prudent to do a cycle of something (like option 1 or 2 above) in between PE2 and PE3?

 

thanks for your advice.

Freeflyer

Start with your hands as far back as they can go while still allowing good form, and as you progress you can move them back slowly to the prescribed position.  Just don't move on from PE3 until you have reached the mastery level at the correct position.

Jon Douglas

I prefer to begin my pseudo planche pushups from the bottom position, lying on stomach and placing hands by waist, then engaging shoulders/chest in sequence and up I go. This may work for you or not, but it's helped me a lot in finding the 'factors' and building high reps in this exercise.

Nathan Brunskill

thank you, both.

 

I tried starting from the bottom position (hands at waist), I got about half way up. Nuts. I think I'll start the cycle with hands as far back as I can while keeping form. Hopefully as the cycle goes on and I get better at the movement I'll be able to slide them further back.

 

I definitely won't be moving on until I can complete the required reps with proper form and hand placement. Just trying to figure out the best way to get there.  :)

 

 

Edit: Actually, I thought I could perform the planche lean with my hands at my waist but just failed at that as well. Best I could get just now was a few inches above the waist. So it sounds like I need to focus on the forward lean in general (haven't quite got to sPL/PE5 yet).

N00dl3

Had a similar problem when i went to the PPP. One thing to consider is your pushup form for PE2 mastery. When i could barely do 1 or 2 PPP with a history of doing 60+ rep set regular push ups I looked at where my hands are for a normal pushup and for a PPP push up. For the PPP your hands are not only just above your waist (as opposed to around the nipple line in reg pushups) but your hand are also much closer together. Consider doing sets of regular push ups with a narrow width you would use in a PPP and positioned below the nipple line somewhere around your top ab or lower. This gives a similar feel as the PPP but is obviously much easier. Tell me if it works for you or if i am just crazy, ha.

ausswe

Sorry to hijack this thread but that last comment made me think about how close my hands are. I am currently at week 7 of pe2 and my hands are directly above my belly button. But because of wrist issues I have to have my hand placement about 1.5 shoulder width. Is this okay? Rather than directly next to my abdomen. Think of it more like something between pppu and pmpu with hands above belly button