This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobile Application

Started by Cory Fair, April 2, 2013 · 16 Replies · 36 Views

Cory Fair

We have the ability to build an iOS and Android-specific mobile application with zero or near-zero cost to ourselves. I am opening this up for any ideas for this. At this point, toss out anything that comes to mind.

Nic Branson

How far can we take this app? Are we talking just forum integrated with Course access etc or can we build in an OLC suite?

Cole Dano

Or do you mean something available for a couple of dollars on the app store? In which case I imagine we don't want to integrate courses, but do something totally different.

Nic Branson

I just meant access, separate purchase needed of course. Just to be clear...

Cole Dano

I'm not sure if the app store allows that, but that was one of the things I was thinking as well.

 

Let's see what Cory says...

Cory Fair

At this point, it is more in our interests for something general for exposure or utility rather than for the courses.

 

OLC will be through Chicken Dinner. If they put in our suggestions, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. 

Nic Branson

OLC sounds good I did know where we stood on that front.

Hmm that makes the thoughts interesting. Movement reference is a big thing but we do not want that out there separate from the courses....

Cole Dano

GB timer/metronome app?

 

One of the sounds can be of Coach making jokes about weeding out the gene pool. 

Nic Branson

Timer and Metronome are great!

Cole Dano

Would be cool to have an app with both and set up for our uses.

Cory Fair

Some key points to keep in mind about applications:

 

-Content must be renewable and not static

-Functions must fill a real or perceived need

Nic Branson

The timer does get asked about so I think that is a good feature.

Cole Dano

- Content must be renewable and not static 

 

What does that mean exactly?

Cory Fair
Cole Dano said:

- Content must be renewable and not static 

 

What does that mean exactly?

 

If an application is not pure function then there has to be content that changes every so often for the user not to become bored with it. 

 

The timer would certainly be a good feature but we'd likely want to offer more than that for an application. There's no rush on this, I just wanted to toss the idea out there so as we have ideas pop up we can get them written down here. I'm confident one of us will have a stroke of brilliance about this eventually.

Nic Branson

There needs to be a reason more than as a timer / ticker to keep it on your device.

For reference, typical things seen:

WODs

Movement reference

Progression cycle

Workout planner.

Coach Sommer

No more WODs!!!

Nic Branson

No no no. Not saying we should do that. I was just putting out examples of what I've seen in apps like we are discussing to try and get our brains working on how to be different.