This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE1 elbow pain

Started by bluebellstar, April 2, 2013 · 8 Replies · 264 Views

bluebellstar

At the bottom of each rep of HBP/PE1, I feel something popping (without pain) in my left elbow, and on the concentric it pops back.

One day during the iM my elbow started to hurt and I immediately stopped and took a few days off.

Tried it again the next week, same thing.

Right now my plan is to follow the 10 rep template and scale up the iM, instead of starting from 10 reps.

Yes, I did start from week 1.

I can do full ROM dips (shoulders almost touching hands) and a reasonable amount of pushups with arms tucked (40 without stopping) without any pain or, significantly, the same popping feeling.

I'n honestly quite baffled as to why inclined pushups, of all things, are causing this.

If it helps, I notice that when my arms are flexed for a prolonged period (mostly from holding stuff up to my face), my arms tend to cramp slightly and the same part of my elbow aches dully a very little.

Anyone have suggestions on how I should deal with this?

(As an aside: how hard should I tense for FL PE1? Is it sufficient for my lower back to be the only part of my body in contact with the ground, or should I strive to raise my glutes as high as possible?)

FredInChina

What sort of pain, what is its intensity on a scale of 1-10, & where precisely does your elbow hurt? :)

Keilani Gutierrez

you know blue, though i dont get "pain" from doing incline pushups, i used to get a clicking sound in my elbow that disappeared with some flossing with an elastic band.

i dont know what caused yours, have you landed on your wrists before? what kind of surface are you doing your incline pushups on?

chobbs
KeilaniG said:

you know blue, though i dont get "pain" from doing incline pushups, i used to get a clicking sound in my elbow that disappeared with some flossing with an elastic band.

i dont know what caused yours, have you landed on your wrists before? what kind of surface are you doing your incline pushups on?

 

Can you elaborate on this flossing? I have a clicking in my left elbow, no idea how it came about. Incline pushups are fine, but with pushups on the floor I get the clicking - not with every rep though.

 

- Chris

Keilani Gutierrez

 

like I said, it might not be it but it's what helped me (I work at a desk with my computer and I have done bag work, not recently though.)

 

I don't have a voodoo band, but i have used my elastic band laying around at home. the kind they give out at the doctors office. 

chobbs

Thanks, I will give that a whirl. It is interesting that many of us are experiencing something similar with slightly different scenarios under which it happens.

 

- Chris

Keilani Gutierrez

yep. 

 

I found that my anterior pelvic tilt is affecting my performance in a few PE's and iM's as well.

 

these past 2 months, i've been doing my share of research on how to avoid it, treat it and maintenance.

 

seems that all the exercises that are prescribed as a cure to APT are found in F1 and further corrected by mastering Posterior Pelvic Tilt in H1 iM's.

 

literally, a work of art is what we have in our hands.  

 

edit: also, if you work the Wrist prep, it will also directly affect your elbow health. so something to look into would be to do H1 wrist prep with the prescribed programming to allow the connective tissues to strengthen/lengthen along with novel wrist movements. you'll have bulletproof elbows by the time Coach is done with us :P (which thankfully is never) #howpoetic

bluebellstar

It's a very minor pain, maybe a 2-3 in the outside of my elbow, but I believe that pain, when in joints and not muscles, is a giant stop sign.

It didn't really happen during the PE itself; more during the iM and post-exercise.

Nope, no wrist injuries. I'm using a table that my hands are flat on (couldn't find a bar the right height)

Also, anyone know about FL PE1?

Keilani Gutierrez
bluebellstar said:

It's a very minor pain, maybe a 2-3 in the outside of my elbow, but I believe that pain, when in joints and not muscles, is a giant stop sign.

It didn't really happen during the PE itself; more during the iM and post-exercise.

Nope, no wrist injuries. I'm using a table that my hands are flat on (couldn't find a bar the right height)

Also, anyone know about FL PE1?

what about FL/PE1?