Hi All,
Been thinking a lot recently about getting back to an earlier 'career' in massage therapy, but properly this time. Partly to better understand sorting out my own issues, but also because we're putting in a treatment room (my wife is a full-time therapist, mostly Craniosacral Therapy, and used to run a successful clinic in West London before we had kids and moved out to the country).
A number of years ago I completed a course to gain an ITEC diploma in Massage, Anatomy & Physiology, which I happily passed with distinction. I worked for a summer simply doing what I had learned on the course, and from getting treatments myself. I also stayed on to help with running the courses. Did pretty well, had plenty of repeat clients, but was tempted back to web development by the higher income/less effort.
My wife thinks it's a great idea, and thinks I give equally good/better treatments than most she has paid for in the past. She would also like to be able to refer her clients to someone she would trust to give a decent treatment when necessary.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a path for moving forwards?
I'm thinking ART, myofascial release and related approaches, but that might require specific foundational education/experience to get the most from? I'd love to go and do a doctorate in physical therapy, but that's just not realistic right now. With my own issues I am very interested in tissue quality, mobility and movement patterns.
I have a full-time job and two young kids, so available time and money would be a consideration. However the reverse is also true - I have a full-time job, so I don't need to be earning anything from treatments any time soon.
Thanks,
George.
PS: There is a possibility that this might figure into part of my retirement plan. I need to spend quite a few years gaining enough knowledge and experience in a subject that I will be able to teach when I'm old and grey. The teaching part is in hand as (modesty aside) I am a good natural teacher, and have taught many things over the years, I just need to decide what subject fits best. This is a good candidate as my wife currently teaches in the field.