This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single leg squats progression help

Started by Samageddon, April 1, 2013 · 6 Replies · 386 Views

Samageddon

I have just started Foundation One. I am currently working my way through the mastery levels of each progression, to determine my starting point. So far I am at week 4 and can perform mastery levels on all the PE4 exercises.

I can easily perform 5x5reps of speed skater squats (Single Leg Squat Prep Element 4), although, I can't even perform 1 rep of strict form deck squats (SLS/ PE1).

I have had three operation on my right knee, including an ACL reconstruction. As a result, I have a much reduced range of motion. I simply can't bend my right knee enough to get my feet under me when I roll forward. If I keep my feet together, my feet end up too far forward as I roll out of the deck squat and I end up firing myself backwards as I try to stand up.

I can easily perform 5x15 reps of deck squats if I allow my feet to stagger as I roll out or if I do them on a slope, facing downhill.

Given my circumstances, have I shown enough by mastering subsequent PEs to continue through the Single Leg Squat progressions? Should I stick with deck squats until I can actually perform them with strict form?

Are there any other exercises I can try, either as a replacement, or as a prep element for deck squats?

Are there any integrated mobility exercises I could incorporate into my SLS progressions?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

the way it goes is if we start with more advanced elements than the simplest, we'll become even more prone to injury. i'd recommend working on how you will properly do each of the PE's (starting with number 1) and do mastery on them first. I used to say on here that "I could do pistol squats" and it's true, i can, but i can also do three finger pushups now thanks to the wrist series included in H1. 

 

can I work both, safely plus the included integrated mobility, so that i can develop both joint health, bone health and muscle health? absolutely not. 

 

you'll be surprised, extremely surprised how strong you will get by working the progressions stated following the mastery templates shown, remember, you don't need to start doing 5x15 on Deck Squats, if you cant do one properly(which a lot of us started doing them poorly but as the weeks go by, they improve substantially) because week 1/day 1 programming is 3setsx3reps. 

 

this will build the strength in baby steps, i'm going to refer to you to this link: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9987-deck-squats-in-f1/?hl=%2Bdeck+%2Bsquats

 

it has a lot of helpful info from forum members who couldn't perform deck squats, like you and have improved form over time. 

 

now as far as your knee surgery goes, perform the PE>iM's slowly, be conservative with the range of motion as your knee gets accustomed to the exercise. 

 

word of caution from a son of a knee surgery patient and also someone who was going down the same road. 

 

discomfort with proper form is what you're looking for. not pain, not going deeper with an illusion of ROM, perform as the athlete on the video demonstrates and nothing else. 

 

we want you to be strong, not injured. 

 

God Speed. 

Mark Collins

Can you sit on your heels? I have been sitting on my heels every night with a stick between my hamstrings and calves. I then move the stick down towards the heel. As I improved in my sitting on the heels, my deck squats became easier.

Cole Dano

Given your history with your knees, it may not be possible for you to perform the deck squats on the floor for pathological reasons.

 

In this case, the only way for you to do a clean deck squat may be with some elevation, doing them by rolling on a mat.

 

IMO in the case of a joint that just is not capable of doing the motion due to prior injury, the only option is to find a way your body will allow you to do it to the best of your ability.

 

Only you and you doctor(s) can answer this question. If your doctor says the knee's ROM is what it is, then let's work within that. If he says with consistent effort it can be improved let's do that.

 

In the case of a permanent situation you will also have to adapt some of the coming steps, and your SLS on one side will be different than the other.

Nic Branson

PM sent. Injury issues where reconstruction have taken place have to be handled a bit differently as the internal surface of the joint or length of ligaments/tendons could have been changed.

IcedDante

Can you update this thread with you finally end up doing on this matter? I'm sure the information would be valuable to many people here.

Nic Branson

It is an injury related issue which typically has to be addressed case by case.