Bodybuilder does Planche

Started by SuperBru, April 1, 2013 · 43 Replies · 11,809 Views

gohei_

Holy crap that looks nasty.

thecolin

An excellent lesson in how big muscles aren't enough, condition those tendons.  :)

Ravn

Talk about Potemkin muscle.

-MR

http://jap.physiology.org/content/115/1/84

 

"...these findings indicate that tendon adaptations from years of heavy resistance training are different in androgenic-anabolic steroid users, suggesting differences in collagen remodelling. Some of these adaptations (e.g. higher stress) could be linked to a higher risk of tendon injury."

thecolin

I'm not sure of the cause, but Alex87 had mentioned to me that he has to be very careful when he works with body builders because their tendons are incredibly delicate.

 

I wonder if it specifically relates to steroid use, or perhaps just excessive partial ROM exercises and poor flexibility?

Alessandro Mainente

Eccessive steroids use is definitely the problem. For high concentration of gh there is an increased of the rate of injuries on bicep, tricep, lower fibers of lats, hamstring, calves and less the chest.gh has the powerful capacity to decrease the connective tissue of tendons

bigB

I definitely read steroids we can tendons weakness.

I thought growth hormone actually improved tendon recovery and muscle healing.

Jon Douglas

That kind of thing, especially on a skill he's probably taken for granted for years at this point, can really shake you.

Hope recovery is fast...

DieKatze
alex87 said:

Eccessive steroids use is definitely the problem. For high concentration of gh there is an increased of the rate of injuries on bicep, tricep, lower fibers of lats, hamstring, calves and less the chest.gh has the powerful capacity to decrease the connective tissue of tendons

 

high concentrations of GH are definitely not the problem here. quite the opposite is true in fact: there are numerous studies showing a positive effect of GH on connective tissue health. 

Bosco

It's probably multifactorial (does this word exist in English ?!), you have to consider that : -he has heavy legs

                                                                                                                                             - he has super low body fat

                                                                                                                                              - he's certainly dehydrated

                                                                                                                                              ... and more

DieKatze

The fact he is extremely dehydrated certainly has something to do with it.

C.MARIVS

How "easy" is to tear the tendon? Few weeks ago I saw a guy ripping biceps tendon with a back lever, of of them are much stronger than me... Can you do it one day without pain and rip it next day or do you have to force yourself to work through pain first for a long while to weaken it before it breaks ? I do understand that it did not happen to you , but just trying to get opinions . I'm working on my progressions, they feel demanding (even if still very basic) and my big fear is to do it to myself ..

Coach Sommer

The torn biceps from back lever work is an issue of improper GST preparation. Very strong beginners are especially at risk, which is why GB does not introduce serious back lever training until after someone has reached an intermediate level of GST (finished Foundation) and has built a sufficient degree of shoulder extension mobility and strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

LateStarter@46

Hear hear hear!

 

Whilst I'm not exceptionally strong I am stronger than average and have reached a point where I need to go back rather than forwards in my training, because I have gone too fast. I'd rather be careful than sorry.

Jurre
C.MARIVS said:

How "easy" is to tear the tendon? Few weeks ago I saw a guy ripping biceps tendon with a back lever, of of them are much stronger than me... Can you do it one day without pain and rip it next day or do you have to force yourself to work through pain first for a long while to weaken it before it breaks ? I do understand that it did not happen to you , but just trying to get opinions . I'm working on my progressions, they feel demanding (even if still very basic) and my big fear is to do it to myself ..

Wondering this myself. The progressions i'm at, I don't really feel to much stress on the elbows and tendons. How unexpected can you tear this shit?

Helander

As far as steroids are concerned, I remember the issue being that most steroids promote the growth of a "bad" type collagen fiber, which adds total mass of the collagen tissue but does not increase cross-linking of the tissue, resulting in a bigger but weak tissue. Growth hormone indeed should add up to collagen syntehsis in a more positive than negative way.

 

So, if you have planned using steroids after being stuck with the arch hold for the last two years, you should maybe consider again !  :P