This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Doing F1 while doing other workouts as well?

Started by Andrew Tan, March 30, 2013 · 7 Replies · 373 Views

Andrew Tan

Was wondering if i can do other workouts as well as the F1 program, i like to do some HIIT(high intensity interval training) few times a week, and sometimes some Crossfit workouts(olympic lifts, kettlebells etc), so would that be ok if i do them on the same day after my F1 workout? im currently doing the 5 days a week program

Joshua Slocum

HIIT is fine; in fact it's probably good to be getting in some cardio during the week. On the other hand, additional strength-training on top of the 5-days foundation schedule is likely to result in overtraining.

 

What is your motivation for wanting to work Crossfit and F1 at the same time? The right way to combine them depends on what you're trying to get out of each. 

Tucker

I also plan on including my original routine, mainly working on the main compound barbell exercises once a week so that I can maintain my strength in the lifts (i.e. bench press, deadlift, squats, military press) while doing F1 at the same time. I think as long as you know how your body recovers from training and you know how to schedule your workouts there shouldn't be a big problem with including additional exercises and the like. I will say however that you may need to reduce the volume of your previous routine because F1 will become more and more strenuous as you progress.

Flameous

I just finally got F1/HS1 and after first workout, starting from the beginning, I've decided to follow schedule of 2 days with all F1/HS1 and one day for other stuff. Atm it's mainly playing around with all the skills I already have and just training for fun, during summer probably more CF workouts.

 

Eventually all these come down to your own personal recovery and no one is able to tell you before hand where the line of overtraining goes.

Joshua Naterman

As F1 and the following volumes become more difficult, you will absolutely have to be very careful about any additional strength training.

 

This isn't any different from anything else: When you're already close to the limit( but not on or over the limit), which is where your best progress comes from, you can't add much else without causing problems. In case no one has noticed, the 4 week minicycles take you close to the edge, and then let you recover during the deload week. Trying to add stuff on top of this , even if there WERE guideilnes, would be a personal journey of trial and error.

 

It is nearly impossible for us to give you guys any accurate integration advice, because no one has tried such a thing. We can't just do this based on training theory... we would have to be experimenting with this kind of thing for a long time, and there may never be any official recommendations for such an approach. It's definitely too early for any such thing, and at any rate right now it's pretty important to focus on your GST basics.

 

What I can tell you, for sure, is that if you exceed the training volume, for strength training, that is in the 5 day Foundation template, you are almost certainly going to have problems.

 

For those who journey forth into that wilderness, all I can say is to be careful, and good luck.

Andrew Tan
Hari_Seldon said:

HIIT is fine; in fact it's probably good to be getting in some cardio during the week. On the other hand, additional strength-training on top of the 5-days foundation schedule is likely to result in overtraining.

 

What is your motivation for wanting to work Crossfit and F1 at the same time? The right way to combine them depends on what you're trying to get out of each. 

Cause i realized there isnt any metabolic conditioning in GST, so i wanna put it in to make sure my stamina stays up, as for the Olympic lifts, its is more for practicing the technique and make sure i dont lose the strength i got from it

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Naterman said:

As F1 and the following volumes become more difficult, you will absolutely have to be very careful about any additional strength training.

 

This isn't any different from anything else: When you're already close to the limit( but not on or over the limit), which is where your best progress comes from, you can't add much else without causing problems. In case no one has noticed, the 4 week minicycles take you close to the edge, and then let you recover during the deload week. Trying to add stuff on top of this , even if there WERE guideilnes, would be a personal journey of trial and error.

 

It is nearly impossible for us to give you guys any accurate integration advice, because no one has tried such a thing. We can't just do this based on training theory... we would have to be experimenting with this kind of thing for a long time, and there may never be any official recommendations for such an approach. It's definitely too early for any such thing, and at any rate right now it's pretty important to focus on your GST basics.

 

What I can tell you, for sure, is that if you exceed the training volume, for strength training, that is in the 5 day Foundation template, you are almost certainly going to have problems.

 

For those who journey forth into that wilderness, all I can say is to be careful, and good luck.

thanks a lot for stating that, really. I've been trying to find my limit when it comes to integration, now that the F1 volume has ramped up and the inclusion of H1 makes things rather interesting. 

 

what has been intriguing me is how I'll have to ramp down the volume to accommodate adequate stimulation and quality work for Taiji and Wing Chun. the hardest thing I do in the week is definetely F1 and Wing chun and the energy work from Tai Chi will be refreshing. what will be interesting to work out will be how H1 fits in all of this. I'll probably have to take it down to 3 days a week because I don't want to sacrifice H1 training to simply 2 days, when the volume is so easy now. when it starts getting challenging, will be an entirely different story. 

Mark Collins

I incorporate the F1 and H1 into my crossfit workouts. I split the F1 into 4 exercises then 3 on the other day. I start my workout with the F1, then olympic lifts or other barbell strengthening followed by a 5-20 minute cardiovascular workout. The cardiovascular workout is usually a Crossfit style workout.

The H1 is done twice a week at different times.

So far this is working well and I have progressed through each week other than not getting 5x15 push ups. The F1 and H1 have already improved my lifts and CF workouts. As I advance through the stages I may need to review my volume. I used to avoid high volume because I feared not recovering. But as I have slowly built up my volume my body has adapted.

I really enjoy Crossfit and it introduced me to gymnastic movements, which I was terrible at. Now I love the gymnastics training, which is why I ended up following Coach Sommers. So I will try to keep both going at the same time.