This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about schedule integration with F1.

Started by Tyler Phillips, March 29, 2013 · 13 Replies · 536 Views

Tyler Phillips

Hello all. First off I want to thank everyone involved with putting together both H1 and F1 - the material is absolutely brilliant and will go such a long way towards eliminating all the gaps in my training (as well as my discipline - I'm really swallowing my pride this time and not skipping ahead). I'm already very excited at the prospect of training through this and look forward to nailing down these skills in the coming months/years - couldn't imagine a better place to dump my tax return money.  :mrgreen:

 

Anyway, within H1 there's a section about integrating H1 with F1. I plan on following the 6 day training schedule, alternating F1 days and H1 days with rest on Sunday. For the template, it has all 7 skills listed on the F1 days. I wanted to know if this was the intended schedule for that template, or if that was simply a placeholder. The alternative, for example would be the 3-day training schedule listed in F1, which has FL, sPL, HBP, and RC on Mondays & Fridays, and MN, SL, and SLS on Wednesday - the days reversed the following week.

 

I suppose either one could work, and the latter template would allow for a bit more recovery, but I wanted to be sure that way I can get the most out of what Coach has designed. I also ask because I tried doing all 7 this past Monday, testing out the mastery levels to see where I stood, and only made it through 4 of them. Granted that was after my work shift and some rock climbing, as well as a lackluster previous training week, so that may have played a role as well.

 

So if anyone could help me with that (hopefully I explained that clearly enough) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :icon_biggrin:  

Klaudius Petrulis

Some people do all 7 F1 elements on a M/W/F schedule and H1 on the off days. Others Place H1 into one of their F1 days.

 

You'll find some more questions like yours and more detailed answers if you snoop around the forum here.

 

I do my H1 after M/W/F workouts, as those are easier than the T/TH workouts.

 

Your recovery and mileage may vary.  Who knows? Maybe you'll only end up working 2 H1 days a week?

Jon Douglas

I'm doing MWF F7 and TTS H1. Suiting me and making steady progress without pushing any limits. Some others are running the 4 or 5 day F schedule with more H1 days to prioritise it, which doesn't suit me. It might a little time to dial in on what works for you.

 

Do yourself a favour though and start conservatively, especially if you don't have a prior training background. Good luck :)

Keilani Gutierrez

speaking of, after entering week 5 of F1 programming on a 5 day split, week 1 of H1 feels great, even though im getting a bit of DOMS.

 

which i didn't get before but is expected from the mobility drills and ramped up volume

ausswe

Ivebeen doing h1 5 times a week with all 7 three times a week. At the moment h1 isn't even a warm up though a I guess that will change once te progressions get harder

Jon Douglas
ausswe said:

Ivebeen doing h1 5 times a week with all 7 three times a week. At the moment h1 isn't even a warm up though a I guess that will change once te progressions get harder

How are you finding the mobility progress at 5 days a week?

ausswe

Super fast! I went from quite a wide Hand grip placement to already having my hands at shoulder width. Although was doing it wrong at first and when pullin back I was movin my shoulders into the first part of an dislocate. Corrected that though and now have shoulder wish grip pulling back. You can really feel it in the traps if you do it right.

And don't even get me started on the wrist stuff!! I wet from not being able to stay in a push up position because of the wrists to a few weeks later being able to do a handstand wrists pain free.

SuperBru
ausswe said:

Ivebeen doing h1 5 times a week with all 7 three times a week. At the moment h1 isn't even a warm up though a I guess that will change once te progressions get harder

I completely agree. Especially the wrist conditioning. 

trw

I tried the full F7 last week and also had a pretty hard time of it. Certainly more difficult than the 4 day split I had been doing as prescribed in F1. I decided to switch back to the split and am working H1 before F1 two days a week to start. I think I'll increase the days over time to ease mysef into training H1 with every Foundation workout.

Craig

My schedule looks something like:

 

Day 1: H1 (selected mobility and wrist prep), PL, FL, HBP, RC

Day 2: H1 (whole program), SL, MN, Movement Skills

 

I really like the wrist and shoulder stuff so I try to do that with every workout!  Also jamming heaps of extra mobility in there.  I'm recovering from a shoulder injury at the moment so I'm basically just all mobility (focusing on pike and hip flexors), Hollows, V-ups and all the shoulder and wrist stuff to rehab the injury.

Richard Hamilton

I've been doing the same as Charm... MWF F7 and TTS H1. I've also been doing a yoga session most evenings in an attempt to improve my lack of mobiity and it seems to be helping. 

 

I'm starting to find that I feel knackered a lot of the time... with this schedule and a job where I'm moving and handling residents in a care home all day (and taking beatings at times) I don't think I'm recovering to the best of my ability. I'll be scaling back to Mon & Thurs F7 and H1 on Tues & Fri. Perhaps on the Wed and Sat I can just do the F & H mobility elements in supersets and I'll keep doing the yoga as I have been. Mobility needs to be my focus anyway.

 

I'd like to be able to do the schedule I tried but at present I don't think it's suitable for me so like Charm said, start conservatively and build on that. I'll likely wait till next year before trying to add more sessions again.

Cannister

My first mini-cycle was just F1 - doing the 4 day a week split (FL, sPL, HBP, and RC on one day, the rest on another, then repeat).  This didn't feel like a whole lot of work because I was so early in many progressions.

 

My second mini-cycle I got H1 and ramped it up to F7 3x week plus 3x H1.  My performance went down due to fatigue, and the F7 workouts got long enough to be hard to fit in as a full time engineer, homeowner, husband, soon to be father, working towards a masters degree.  I managed to do the whole month but it was very hard to fit in the workouts.

 

This month I've scaled back to the original F1 4 day a week split + 3 H1.  The F1 workouts are short enough again that I can do them when I wake up before going to work and the H1 workouts are still a <10 minute affair that I usually do during the evening.

 

You've got to constantly keep tabs on how you are feeling/performing.  No shame in listening to your body.

prinny
Cannister said:

My first mini-cycle was just F1 - doing the 4 day a week split (FL, sPL, HBP, and RC on one day, the rest on another, then repeat).  This didn't feel like a whole lot of work because I was so early in many progressions.

 

My second mini-cycle I got H1 and ramped it up to F7 3x week plus 3x H1.  My performance went down due to fatigue, and the F7 workouts got long enough to be hard to fit in as a full time engineer, homeowner, husband, soon to be father, working towards a masters degree.  I managed to do the whole month but it was very hard to fit in the workouts.

 

This month I've scaled back to the original F1 4 day a week split + 3 H1.  The F1 workouts are short enough again that I can do them when I wake up before going to work and the H1 workouts are still a <10 minute affair that I usually do during the evening.

 

You've got to constantly keep tabs on how you are feeling/performing.  No shame in listening to your body.

Out of curiosity, how are you finding doing the F1 in the morning?  Is it more difficult to do after rolling out of bed?  I've thought about getting up a bit earlier to do the original F1 4 day thing, but it's just been a passing thought.

Cannister
Joel Alambra said:

Out of curiosity, how are you finding doing the F1 in the morning?  Is it more difficult to do after rolling out of bed?  I've thought about getting up a bit earlier to do the original F1 4 day thing, but it's just been a passing thought.

 

Well my ROM for some of the mobility elements is a little more restricted in the morning, but I think that's largely because I don't spend a whole lot of time warming up, which I really should start doing.  I find that bent Hollow Body Rocks and a few air squat thrown in between elements serve well to warm me up as I'm going.  I think a quick jog and a little general limbering would definitely be enough to become fully warmed up to start your F1 workout.  Especially because each exercise will have an individual warmup exercise once you get to PE2.

 

I enjoy it because I know I've taken care of F1 at the beginning of the day and I don't need to worry about anything else unexpected getting in the way.