Standing desks

Started by Joshua Naterman, March 28, 2013 · 17 Replies · 4,773 Views

Joshua Naterman

So I just got a standing adjustable desk from multitable.com (actually got it off of Amazon), and ZOOMG!!!! It is awesome!!!

 

It adjusts from a few inches above knee height to a few inches below my sternum in ~10-15 seconds via hand crank, is very easy to adjust, is stable as a rock, and allows you to use your own custom tabletop. Right now, as you will see, I am using an ironing board.

 

Go ahead, laugh :)

 

For 500 bucks including shipping (but not the ironing board), this is a steal. The electrics cost over 1400 dollars and are slower to adjust, and are louder, and tend to require that you buy a tabletop with the base that may not be what you want.

 

As you can see, you have to be careful when utilizing the G.I. Joe Kung Fu Grip , because the supplied hex wrenches can break. Not easily, perhaps, but I didn't feel like I was putting that much into it :) My hardened steel wrenches worked just fine after that.

post-1003-0-96361900-1364497972_thumb.jp

post-1003-0-44419000-1364497981_thumb.jp

post-1003-0-89078500-1364497988_thumb.jp

post-1003-0-12848300-1364497994_thumb.jp

piotro

Ok, but how are you going to use it in GST training?

Daniel Burnham

Ha nice. At The place I used to work, all the desks were electric and could be raised up.

mmm

I'm jealous. I'm planning on doing an Ikea hack when I return to the states.

SuperBru

That's creative!

Johann Wimmer

Nice - I'm currently saving for an electric height-adjustable desk, IKEA sells them for ~€ 500 here :)

jl5555

Where did those walls come from?  I thought you lived in a garage full of boxes???

Patrick Smith

HAHAHAHAHA!

 

:P 

 

This is interesting, although $500 seems like a lot to spend on a desk. It's pretty sweet that you can adjust it though!

 

Don't forget that you need some kind of stand for your monitor/laptop so that you're not looking down all day. You want your screen to be at eye level.

Klaudius Petrulis

I used to sell Desk Treadmills by Lifespan, so this isn't too wacky for me :P

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA! You guys... :lol:

Joshua Naterman
piotro said:

Ok, but how are you going to use it in GST training?

Handstand box presses!

piotro
Joshua Naterman said:

Handstand box presses!

Desk height adjustment to be your progression :).

palleon86

I also have an adjustable standing desk.  I love it.  It was rather expensive but I figure it will pay for itself in avoided future medical costs.  I typically would sit for a little bit after getting home from working (I am on my feet 100% of the time at work) and stand the rest of the time.  I find myself taking a lot of real quick breaks from whatever I am doing to stretch or do a couple reps of my favorite mobility exercises just to stay lose.  In a chair its just to easy to not move for hours at a time.

Joshua Naterman

I just studied for a test on my desk for the first time, and I stayed MUCH more alert.

wheezer

Did the Ikea hack a few months ago in my bedroom office. Amazing, never looked back! Keeps me alert, mobile and my body more aligned.

Bipocni

I've always hated the idea of a standing desk because I'm on my feet all day at work (sometimes up to 33 hours at a stretch) and I can't fathom choosing to stand up during my leisure time as well....

Joshua Naterman

I am loving my desk :) I will never give it up!

FredInChina

Making my own standing desk inside a hollowed out closet this week end. I'll post pics when this is done. :)

 

Closetright_zpsee0cdbad.jpg