This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Idea: Nutrition Service

Started by Cory Fair, March 28, 2013 · 21 Replies · 64 Views

Cory Fair

Josh hasn't produced any sort of course draft for nutrition, so when I saw a bit about this program James does at Orench's facility it struck me as something worth looking into. Below is Jame's response to my inquiry and some sample emails.

 

Hey Cory and Coach,

I am all about realistic, sustainable and long-term effective nutrition. This program is an email-based nutrition education tool. Subscribers receive daily support to help build their own sustainable and effective nutrition protocol. It serves as an ongoing course; I pick a topic and spend 7-10 days on the topic and follow with a quiz.
 
One may sign up for the program at any time for one month at $35 or a 6 month commitment for $25/month. There are also special rates for corporations wanting to integrate this into a wellness program which includes on-site workshops.
 
What this program is NOT:
I do not promote any diets e.g. Paleo, vegan, etc.
I do not get paid to promote supplements but I do provide education on herbs and supplements
I do not prescribe anything. The information is meant to be used as a tool to create healthy patterns unique to an individuals lifestyle
I do not conform to any sort of doctrine e.g. Naturopathy, Dietetics, Ayurveda, etc. I am in the same line of sight with what I learned from Coach in a seminar: It can't all be learned from the books!
I am in the process of being able to embed video into the emails. If you would like a weeks worth of emails, please send me your address(es) and I will forward them to you.
 
You can also check out more about the program atwww.qidenver.com/nutrition
 
Thanks!
James
 

Here are some samples from my segment on Digestive Health - Regularity. Please note that tomorrow I will be introducing a "constant contact" format which will enable me to embed pictures and videos playable in the email. 

 
 
Qi Nutritional Transformation Program
 
Digestive Health - Assessing your Regularity
 
Bowel Transit Time (BTT)- The amount of time it takes for food to pass through your digestive system
 
This measurement is a great way to assess how your digestive system is working as a whole. The optimal BTT is around 17 hours. If your BTT is over 48 hours, that means no bowel movements for two days, the digestive tract is a risk for pathology (think about it, you have semi-digested food sitting in a 98.6degree swamp for a prolonged period of time...gross!!). If the BTT is less than 12 hours, there may be a risk of malabsorption, dehydration and symptoms of diarrhea.
 
How to test: Using activated charcoal capsules (found at Vitamin Cottage or Whole foods), take a serving after dinner with a full glass of water. Optimally, you would see some black in the stool at around 17 hours with all of the black out of the stool at 24 hours. This test will give you a great idea about how well you are functioning currently and what steps need to be taken in the future.
 
Tomorrow we will discuss foods and lifestyle choices that can help to optimize BTT.
 
 
 
Be well,
 
james
 
 
 
Qi Nutritional Transformation Program
 
Digestive Health - Optimizing Regularity
 
"Education is not the learning of the facts but the training of the mind" -Albert Einstein
 
Over the next few days we will discuss different ways to address regularity using a solution-based approach. 
We must understand that there are two avenues to travel for irregularity: fixing the symptom and addressing the cause.
 
Finding regularity and truly solving the issue is simply finding a balance of macronutrients (fat,protein,carbohydrates), micronutrients (vitamins,minerals) along with fiber and water being of utmost importance.
 
How much water do you drink each day? Quantifying this amount with a 1 liter or 1.5 liter water bottle can really help indicate your hydration. 25% of stool is water and we tend to get blocked up when our body doesn't have sufficient fluid intake. Experiment with your water intake, drink more early in the day as your body usually goes without water for 7-10 hours during the night. 100-120oz of water throughout the day is a good goal to set.
 
Fiber! Most americans are deficient in fiber. The soluble fiber found in oats, legumes, flax, chia and pectin fruits like apples or peaches creates a gel in the GI tract and can help slow absorption of sugar into the bloodstream thereby helping to balance blood glucose levels. Insoluble fiber found as the supportive structural material in plants such as leafy greens or grains function to increase bulk of stools and stimulate norma gastrointestinal (GI) motility.
Fiber also assists in detoxification of hormones, lowering serum cholesterol and provides satiety, or the feeling of being "full" from your meal.
 
I invite you to experiment with somewhere between 25-35grams of fiber per day and note any changes in your body that occur.
 
Here is a detailed list of high fiber foods 
 
 
Tomorrow we will discuss some symptom relieving methods for irregularity and some high-fiber recipes for meals and smoothies
 
Enjoy your day,
 
james
 
 
 
Qi Nutritional Transformation Program
 
Digestive Health - QUIZ on regularity segment
 
These answers should be geared towards what YOU feel would be optimal or beneficial for YOUR lifestyle.
 
1. How many grams of fiber would you get in an optimal day?
 
2. What is BTT and what would be a consequence if this was off track?
 
3 What foods do you know cause irregularity in your body?
 
4. What is a function of soluble fiber? What are some sources?
 
5. What has shifted in the last week regarding your nutrition?
 
***Bonus*** Why would one want to consume ground flax seeds over regular flax seeds?
 
 
You can either answer these questions in your head, on a piece of paper OR submit them to me via email. 
 
enjoy your day,
 
james
 
 
Qi Nutritional Transformation Program
 
Digestive Health - ANSWERS to the QUIZ on regularity segment
 
My answers do not need to look exactly like yours. I am going off of my experience, education and the experience of the people I have worked with.
 
1. How many grams of fiber would you get in an optimal day?
If I eat 3 meals of real, processed-free food, it is extremely difficult to not get 25-35 grams of fiber each day.
 
2. What is BTT and what would be a consequence if this was off track?
Bowel Transit Time is the amount of time it takes for food to pass through your system. BTT is an indicator of digestive health; if the BTT is too fast it can indicate malabsorption, if the BTT is too slow this can be an indicator of bad bacterial growth in the GI tract.
 
3 What foods do you know cause irregularity in your body?
Excess nut butters, excess protein, excess fat, not having enough dense greens or complex carbs such as amaranth, sweet potato or quinoa.
 
4. What is a function of soluble fiber? What are some sources?
Soluble fiber creates a gel in the GI tract and can slow absorption of sugar into the bloodstream. Oats, flax and acacia fiber are all sources of soluble fiber. Consume with a lot of water for a great cleansing experience!
 
5. What has shifted in the last week regarding your nutrition?
I have controlled my over-eating tendency and my abs have gotten a lot tighter and my regularity has improved to the same times each day.
 
***Bonus*** Why would one want to consume ground flax seeds over regular flax seeds?
 
Grinding the flax seeds will deactivate the enzyme inhibitors that prevent your body from absorbing the nutrients from the seed. ***However, these same enzyme inhibitors keep the flax seeds fresh for much longer, so grinding your own flax seeds can help increase the storage life of your seeds (as well as being a less expensive option).
 
 
There you go. If you have sent a question in, you will have seen it addressed over the last few days of emails and in the quiz. Tomorrow we will begin talking about adrenal health. Don't worry, I won't tell you that you can't drink coffee.
 
 
 
 
 
 
You can either answer these questions in your head, on a piece of paper OR submit them to me via email. 
 
enjoy your day,
 
james
 
I could see something like this as three possibilities:
 
1)  Promote Jame's service as-is no changes, James keeps 100%
 
2) Do a commission split to allow him to use our traffic and InfusionSoft platform to deliver his service to GB customers. Our venue, his work. We keep our clients separate from his. James earns extra money for simply doing what he's already going to do for his own clients.
 
3) Pay James a one-off as a content writer to set up a series of topic-based emails for us. It would be completely automated and branded GB with him featured as the nutrition person. He can essentially plug in all his archived emails with minor tweaks so work for him is minimal, profit for all is solid.
 
I'm personally in favor of either #2 or #3. What are your thoughts about such a service and how we might implement it. The largest advantage I see to Jame's approach is focusing on principles that provide tangible benefit across most types of diets.
Cole Dano

I'm all for us having a nutrition segment. I really like Josh's nutrition stuff, but James' looks to be a ready and polished product, more well rounded and easier to digest.

 

Option #3 seems the most straight forward IMO and I think would be by far the easiest to implement. He delivers the product and we plug it into InfusionSoft, done deal.

 

AS feedback rolls in we can request more, and this could also give Josh a chance to write a letter on his sports nutrition regimen.

 

Assuming the cost is not too high, we could easily incorporate this into a broader email outreach system.

Nic Branson

2 or 3 sound good. I think having nutrition guidance available is a huge benefit for members and it always generates discussion. I do wonder how Josh will take it if we start using James. He has had chances, should we offer him one last one to see if he has any serious interest?

Cory Fair

Forgive me if I sound insensitive but Josh is not my first concern, a quality product is. We have given him a golden ticket with the opportunity for a nutrition course and two months after giving specific and easy guidelines I haven't gotten a single draft or even a follow-up email about doing this.

I do think its proper to send a polite heads up to him prior to going live with anything, but I am not going to wait and hope he produces something soon. I respect his role in the last few years, but ideas are not enough to build on we need deliverables. I can work with a crappy draft and help mold and polish it. I can't do much with nothing at all.

Cole Dano

That was one of the reasons I prefer option #3, leaves a little room for Josh to be able to contribute. I think due to Josh's nature, compounded with school commitments, to write a full series of easy to follow letters may just not be possible.

 

I know Coach has been asking Josh to do this since before he visited here last summer.

 

But the main reason #3 seems best is it keeps things simple technically and business wise.

 

If the need arises we can always roll into #2, would be hard to go from #2 to #3.

Nic Branson

Cory I agree completely, just being a bit PC.

Starting with #3 leaves room to move to #2 :)

Cory Fair

I like that idea. Hiring out for "content packs" to the service.

Cory Fair

Update:

 

-James will write out three months worth of content to get started. We will provide polish and I will teach him multimedia integration techniques.

 

-The service will cost double Jame's private campaign with Qi, allowing us a 50/50% split on profit. That said, I will pull out as many bells and whistles as I can muster to make a $50/mo ($70 for a one-off, no subscription) seem a no-brain value.

Cole Dano

Sounds good

 

- I can see that commission is safer / fairer

 

- I suppose someone will notify Josh prior to this coming out

Cory Fair
Coach and Cory,
 
Attached are 11 of 12 templates. The 12th will be in the next email. Most of them follow a 7 day structure, with the exception of "Adrenal Health" and "Digestive Health: Regularity". For some of the emails, the content ran past just a single page on the pdf: With the structure of headings it is easy to depict which emails are more than one page (there are a few in Going Out to Eat and Q&A/Testimonials)
 
Here is my suggestion for the order of the program:
 
Alongside the titles are links to corresponding youtube videos- these videos are not public and only available with links. Their title indicates which segment they are to be coupled with and my suggestion is to have these videos posted with the "Quiz Answers" which is the last day of each segment.
 
Simple Meals  
Digestive Health: Regularity  
Healthy Eating on a Budget  http://youtu.be/FWN2kPmXsJc
Adrenal Health  
Seasonal Allergies  http://youtu.be/W9RC2f2XhZc
Exercise Nutrition  
Going Out to Eat  
Digestive Health: Bacterial Flora  
Emotional Eating  
Q&A and Testimonial (attached in the following email)  
Simple Inspirations  
 
 
 
 
The structure is 4 segments each month. There will be a few days at the end of each month with no content. We can either leave this blank or accept up to 5 good questions/queries for Q&A. I think the later helps to establish a communicative interaction and leads to better emotional investment into the program. You could have questions forwarded to me as they come and I would have responses ready for the end of each month. I also think it would be good to have a feedback scroll on the side of the emails where people can post responses/insight.
  
 
The next email will have the 12th attachment on Q&A/Testimonials.
 
Let me know if you have any questions
 
Enjoy your day,
 
James
 

 

I've uploaded all the PDFs James sent to the GB dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1uxvav1b8v0so7v/M8FjFC4a_k

Cole Dano

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

 

I haven't looked much, but first thing I saw was alkalising diet stuff, which I'm not too comfortable with putting the GB stamp on.

 

Video presentation is a bit sloppy.

Nic Branson

I'm still debating on this. Not thrilled with it, but also it's not terrible. The nutrition world is more convoluted than the fitness one.

Cole Dano

Knowing the convoluted nature of the subject I was reticent to even ask, but couldn't help wonder if I was the only one with that opinion -

 

Not terrible, but not terrific either....

Nic Branson

I think my main qualm is that I question if this is even worth getting into. We have barely scratched the surface of what we can offer and what is being planned. Why muddy the water and cloud the vision but delving into an area not of our expertise.

Cole Dano

Based on what I'm seeing here I tend to agree.

Cory Fair

Coach and I discussed this on the phone and it's likely that we'll bring Jeff Serven in for this service.

Cole Dano

Excellent!

Coach Sommer

Jeff is a beast now.  He has gained 30lbs of muscle in the three years since we last saw him and also clean and jerks 330lbs at a bodyweight of 212lbs or so.  

 

I asked Jeff to review the presented nutrition material and his main criticism (after briefly glancing over the material; a more thorough review will be forthcoming) was that we are going off on a tangent from our normal focus on high performance and would be veering in a "Paul Chek"ish direction at least nutritionally.

Nic Branson

Well Jeff summarized my main concern there perfectly. Stick to what we do. This sounds much better.

Talk to Jeff at some point in the future here as integrating that in with the OLC would be very useful for people wanting a true complete performance package.

Cole Dano

I totally agree, Paul Chec-ish says it all. It's just not up to GB standards.

Coach Sommer
Nic Branson said:

... Talk to Jeff at some point in the future here as integrating that in with the OLC would be very useful for people wanting a true complete performance package ...

 

 

 

Already in the works.   :icon_cool:

 

Jeff and I are currently working on program specifics for the OL course (name still to be determined) as well as its proper integration with the GB courses.  As always, it is important that all of the courses mesh seamlessly.

Nic Branson

Sounds good. One more thing for our agenda next week to discuss a bit.