Old surfer with mobility issues......

Started by TRAXXX, March 27, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,007 Views

TRAXXX

I am going to turn 40 in a year and recently found some amazing articles and information that Coach has put out.  I quickly purchased F1 and have been doing it for a week now.  My current strength allows me to complete the PE1 exercises, but as I have read, it is more productive to start SLOW, so I have begun at week 9 of the PE1 series.  My mobility is extremely poor and I guess 30 years of surfing and ZERO stretching has done me no good. 

 

I have 2 questions about the mobility movements:

1)  are there any downsides to performing ALL the mobility movements in PE1 daily?

2)  I understand that moving onto the next levels requires me to have mastery of both strength and mobility, but I am imagining that it is going to take a lifetime to move as smoothly as the athletes in the F1 mobility video clips.  Am I supposed to look like that before moving on?

 

This is a GREAT site and program and I am excited about learning new movements, increasing strength and can't wait until it starts showing in my surfing!!!

 

Aloha,

TRAXXX

Keilani Gutierrez

Aloha from Puerto Rico, Traxxx

 

as you have found, here in GST, it is the decided concensus that strength can be developed through resistance but true overall strength through a functioning ROM is truly the master work of experts in their disciplines through looking to a higher form of training.

 

I'm going to say that depending on your initial mobility gains, as mine have been diagnosed humorously as being a case of non-fatal rigor mortis :facepalm:  I'd advise that although the strength(in PE) might be favotable, you will quickly notice that the prescribed iM's will "open" you more up to be able to spray some buckets on guys trying to jack your wave  :icon_twisted:  :P

 

I've come to realize that some of the injuries that i've faced in my short life (24 yrs) have done extensive damage to two very important regions, my hip girdle and my shoulder girdle. I perform some of the iM's and once mastery, will leave in my warm ups and also in my cool downs as they become part of my daily use. 

 

i'd like to make a parenthesis though, if you notice the programming for F1, you'll notice that there'll be days where your doing less of the mobility elements, other days you'll be doing more. (sometimes upto 5 sets of a given mobility element) so a responsible recommendation would be to follow the programming as is in the F1 programming and if you feel you can benefit from one set of the iM before starting the days WOD, you may do so but don't go overboard. 

 

for your second question, let me assure you, there are many on this forum whom have understanding of what they are doing(like Coach Sommer, The Moderators) and some who don't (myself included and the other forum members) and what we are quickly noticing with H1 and F1 programming with the integrated mobility is that our mobility is sky rocketing! 

 

I am certainly not the same person I was 5 months ago and i'm happy to know that i very much won't be the same in the following 5 months and beyond. 

 

hope this finds you well and if you have any doubts, feel free. :)

TRAXXX

Thank you for your reply Keilani.  Your diagnosis of "non-fatal rigor mortis" is something that I am all too familiar with since under that particular medical classification my picture is located right next to the definition and code.  My problem areas appear to be both my hips and shoulders as well and I am truly hoping that following the F1 program will not only aid me in throwing buckets (you must be a surfer to reference that) but will have me doing so for many years to come.  My application of this program is probably very different from most on this forum.  I want to extend my surfing in both ability and longevity, whereas many on this forum aspire to and complete movements that I will only watch in awe of.

 

Yesterday was a rest day for my 4-day training cycle and I did all the sets of the iM's for PE1.....three times.  Per your 4th paragraph, am I to assume that was not a good idea since the general outline of the program is to rest?  The iM's feel great and I know that rest is important, but is it also essential for the iM's?

 

Congratulations on your 5 month success and here's to continued success with an AWESOME program, support and F1 education!!!

 

Mahalo again for taking some time to share your knowledge with me.  I am very grateful.  I hope you get this message after you're done pulling in to some deep pits......oh and of course, after your WOD!!!

Keilani Gutierrez

it will depend on the recovery ability of your body. on the nutrition Forum, which I highly recommend you take a visit, there's a few stickies by a Forum member, Moderator and resident Doctor(in the process, but he's got his game down) on pre, during and post workout nutrition and there's other stuff on there about healthy eating that will help you a with recovery and overall well being. 

 

perfoming the iM's for active recovery is an awesome idea! just don't bite off more than you can chew, as they say. 

 

I haven't been in the water as much as I used to be, but I do live in paradise and the ocean is a huge part of my life. been in the industry for my entire life but I gravitated towards other things :P I still love the water though!