More Stall bars - this time with lessons learned!

Started by Cannister, March 26, 2013 · 9 Replies · 3,456 Views

Cannister

I made stall bars too!  

Here they are:  http://imgur.com/a/GTp56/all

 

Now: important things.

 

Here's a list of things to do/not do when embarking on this journey yourself...

1) If you use 2x6's for the uprights make sure that you'll have enough room for your fingers between the bars and the wall when you're drilling the holes.

2) Don't hang the bars backwards because you're too excited to play on them.  :facepalm:

3) Spend a little more money for good hardwood dowels (mine are Oak dowels) because do you really want to trust fur/pine to  hold you inverted or sideways?

4) Don't snap off screw heads inside the sides of the dowels because they tend to free-spin.

5) I'd say 1 more dowel would be nice on my setup - I have 12 with 11 of them every 6 inches on the bottom.  a 12th would be nice down there.

6) A Forstner bit will do the trick nicely for drilling the dowel holes with an 18v cordless drill.

7) One battery on said 18v cordless drill will only last you about 1/2way through the job.  Have a second battery or some serious patience.  Or a drill with a chord!

 

Oh and as far as measuring for consistent drill-hole depth: Just draw a line around one of the dowels and put it in there after drilling to make sure it's deep enough!  (make sure not to go too deep!)

 

That's it!  I'm going to have to take them down and flip them over in the coming week.  Darn!

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

 

First off, those really look great. Nice work!

 

I can't believe you put those backwards on the wall! I can tell you were really excited, because you even put the anchor wood piece on backwards, and didn't notice!

 

Enjoy those bars once they're turned around, they are one of the best training investments of all time!

Paul M

Nice work.  I am envious of your wood skills. 

Cannister
Paul Mullin said:

Nice work.  I am envious of your wood skills. 

 

Haha I donnnnnn't really have woodworking skills.  Seriously - this project is something that can be undertaken by anyone with a little common sense, a skill-saw, and a drill.

Joshua Naterman

Shoot, all you really need is a hand saw and a drill :)

 

This is definitely a DIY project that ANYONE can be successful at!

chobbs

Hand saw and a brace and bit. Don't need no expensive power tools. ;)

I am actually over in North Carolina this week at a green woodworking seminar. Going to put this to use when I get back home for making my stall bars. :)

- Chris

FredInChina
Joshua Naterman said:

(...)  definitely a DIY project that ANYONE can be successful at!

 

LOL... nor everyone can disregard the right angle & brute force dowels into misaligned holes with a sledge hammer a la Naterman... :D

RandomHavoc
Joshua Naterman said:

Shoot, all you really need is a hand saw and a drill :)

 

This is definitely a DIY project that ANYONE can be successful at!

 

One of the few times in life where I will be able to discredit your claim. I am living proof.  :lol:  :facepalm:  Hand me or my dad a peice of wood, nails, and a hammer, and somehow - miraculously - we will have set a fire.  :huh:

 

Don't even get me started on when I screwed up making Kraft Dinner ...

dynamo

They look nice.  You have a gap between the first and second bar.  Why did you decide on this design vs no gap.

Cannister
dynamo said:

They look nice.  You have a gap between the first and second bar.  Why did you decide on this design vs no gap.

 

I make it this way because those wooden dowels are $7 each, and I had already spend more than I had planned.  Also the stall bars in F1/H1 videos have a similar gap.