This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Point of head for tripod/headstand?

Started by N00dl3, March 26, 2013 · 7 Replies · 600 Views

N00dl3

Hey all,

 

Popping into tripod feels natural to me. I feel I have my hands and head spaced well as it seems like a really steady foundation. I press up from tripod into headstand, i figured this was ok as the spacing/angles should be the same? My question comes as to where the contact with the mat is made with your head. The easiest spot for me is just above the hairline, but it seems to be, anatomy wise, not correct as i feel a bit of strain afterword. This could just be my weak neck muscles adapting, but i would like to know as given the mobility moves... i wont be moving from headstands soon!

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Matt

Joshua Slocum

I find placing my weight on crown (top of the head) works best for me, as it allows me to keep my neck straight. 

N00dl3

Yeah I moved it back more. Had to double up the mat as i have a calcium deposit on my head and it was quite painful. Only thing i found (though bad for my neck) is having it on my hairline made me put more weight on my hands as opposed to when on a more even spread when I am more on my crown. Obviously the end aim is to only use your hands, hence handstand, however in this preparatory exercise is it more to prepare the shoulders/wrists and begin alignment rather than to develop the arm strength for this move? In any case, H1 awesome!

Coach Sommer

My personal preference is for the crown of the head (the corner of the skull just above the hairline).  Although you may use the very top of the head if you find this more comfortable.  

 

If all goes well however, this will soon be a moot point as you move past the HeS section of H1.   :)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

FredInChina
Coach Sommer said:

(...) above the hairline (...)

 

For some of us, this is just a memory... :wacko:

 

 

:D

N00dl3

If all goes well however, this will soon be a moot point as you move past the HeS section of H1.   :)

 

Full belief in this! Coming in to F1 and H1 in what i thought was 'fit' and 'trained', now 4 weeks later i feel more structurally stable and know coming off the de-load I am really going to make progress this cycle! Hat is off to ya Coach as not only do you have a great product but full aftercare! Class AAA!
 

Erik Rissanen
Coach Sommer said:

Although you may use the very top of the head if you find this more comfortable.  

Thanks, that's useful information. I just made my attempt on this PE element this week and I struggled badly to hold my head as in the video, keeping falling over. I find the very top of the head much, much more comfortable, and that's how I used to do headstands as a child.

 

But I did not dare to use the very top of my head because I thought it might count as bad form. It would be very nice if you can collect notes like these in the course materials over time, so the students will know better what matters and what does not matter. As well as point out common mistakes, etc.

The Giant

Hey my first post!  I'll be having a lot of questions as I get started, but have been searching through the threads to see which of them have been answered already.  

 

This was one of them.  I'm pretty proficient with headstands, but they are always in my past experience done on the very top of the head.  As one of my goals is working up to headspins, it is necessary for the body to be in straight vertical alignment.  When I saw the HeS progressions I was wondering why the video shows the stand just above the hairline, with the body at a non-verticle angle.

 

Could someone please explain to me the pros/cons between these two different versions of form?

 

Thanks in advance, and glad to be here!  This is truly the product I have been hoping for, and am so grateful to Coach to giving his gift to the world...