My Training History (Video)

Started by aiken54, March 25, 2013 · 4 Replies · 1,649 Views

aiken54

 

An Explanatory Note: My form is bad on some of these moves such as the handstand press and flags, but that's not the point. This is about my training history and my "journey" with movement. 

 

I'm not looking for Digital Coaching, which is why I put this in the Community section. I just figured you guys may appreciate this. Any and all comments are welcome, however be aware that I know my form on some of these moves isn't good, so your time may be wasted saying "Your flag is high, your shoulders are closed, your back is arched, etc." because I already know that :)

 

P.S I also just wanted an excuse to try video editing.

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, some of it is a little rough, but it's nice work! 

 

Also, you have access to a sweet gym. Make sure to use it well. 

aiken54

I have access to many gyms :) That one you saw has amazing summer hours! 1-4 Monday through Friday and 10AM-3PM on Saturday. Plus, I have been nearly guaranteed a job at another gym! I will definitely iron out many things this spring and summer.

 

Also, at the same gym where the rings are located, there are also stall bars. I tried a flag without rotating my hips upward and found it to be much harder, however I could still hold a straddle flag, albeit a trite bit high.

pashamur

Nice job on the movement there.

 

(might get a bint ranty below. I tend to do that)

 

Personal two cents (from a gymnastics beginner and parkour enthusiast): critique is your best friend. Even if you know what's wrong with your form, having people tell it to you increases the chance you'll think about it the next time you do the movement, from my experience (the main point is not to take it as an attack on your ego. Think of it as improving yourself more efficiently). I have utmost respect for people who do the basics with good form - to me, that's way more beautiful than big skills done poorly. Here's my favorite example of "clean" execution, and probably one of my favorite floor routines of all time: 

 

 

That said, the things you did were pretty good - the only thing I noticed apart from what you mentioned above was that you're whipping your back tucks around rather than setting and then rotating. I have the same problem on my back tucks - it's pretty common. We should all be striving to have sets like Vitaly Scherbo does in that video above on his second pass... 

 

Anyways, I'm going to end my late-night rambling here. Good work overall.

aiken54

That's very true about critique. Thank you for the backflip advice, I have been really trying to get that with good form. I've never heard anyone say I whip it, but that would make sense now that I look at it.

I will rephrase my original note on critique in this post.