This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training multiple mobility exercises concurrently

Started by Art Vandelay, March 25, 2013 · 14 Replies · 665 Views

Art Vandelay

Anyone training multiple iM's? I know its set out to do only 1 PE and its mobility component but it seems to be for simplicity's sake. Obviously some mobility exercises cant' be performed until you've mastered the one prior, but at the basic level there are some options.

 

I'm only on PE1 but I'm doing the mobility for PE1 and PE2, and thinking of adding more.

Samui

I do some earlier level mastered mobility drills... I do them in addition to the specific iM drill between sets. I am doing 2-3 iM drills which I find useful.

HamdiC

I'm doing HS/PE3 as my main exercise. As a warm up I do one set each of PE1 and PE2 exercises, as well as 5 sets each of the iM's of each of those.

Keilani Gutierrez

from today onward, during my H1 WOD, once completed, i'm going to be doing 1-2 sets of iM 1 through 3. 

 

i've been dabbling in performing 1-2 sets of Xiaopengs on the last hectic two weeks to keep up with Mobility(that added with all the other ones i am currently doing).

 

aside from that, no. 

Joshua Naterman

I do PE 3 for my timed work at week 11 times, but I do iM work 1-4 and pronated dislocates. I kind of work 1,3, and the dislocate at the same time, and I bend way over to make it really hard (similar to prone dislocates, which are later on in H1).

 

For the shoulder extension, I have a novel approach that has worked well. What I do is start off with my elbows flexed. The bar is at the bottom of my traps, with my elbows pointed way back. I then use my upper back and triceps to keep my arms there while I use my triceps to straighten the arms into positon. I get much higher this way, and have built the ability to lift to this exact same height over the past few days, which I was making very little progress in before. When I perform the iM this way, I get my arms almost to parallel and then hold until the bar involuntarily ends about a foot away from my butt, because I can hold there forever. The higher part of the ROM is very difficult, but I am seeing very good progress.

 

Just something to share that may help you guys.

Mark Collins

I am doing the first two mobility exercises as I know the second will take a while to master. I also had my associate Physio do some dry needling (using acupuncture needles into the myofascia) in my last, triceps and forearm. This increased my overhead range by 5 degrees in one session. He did this five days ago and I have held the new range. We are going to try this for a few more sessions. To help with the shoulder extension we are going to try needling the anterior delts and pecs.

Alessandro Mainente
Joshua Naterman said:

I do PE 3 for my timed work at week 11 times, but I do iM work 1-4 and pronated dislocates. I kind of work 1,3, and the dislocate at the same time, and I bend way over to make it really hard (similar to prone dislocates, which are later on in H1).

 

For the shoulder extension, I have a novel approach that has worked well. What I do is start off with my elbows flexed. The bar is at the bottom of my traps, with my elbows pointed way back. I then use my upper back and triceps to keep my arms there while I use my triceps to straighten the arms into positon. I get much higher this way, and have built the ability to lift to this exact same height over the past few days, which I was making very little progress in before. When I perform the iM this way, I get my arms almost to parallel and then hold until the bar involuntarily ends about a foot away from my butt, because I can hold there forever. The higher part of the ROM is very difficult, but I am seeing very good progress.

 

Just something to share that may help you guys.

 

do you think that pronated dislocate can generate a ac impingement?

Mark Collins

I have never heard of an AC joint impingement. The AC joint has maximal compression when the arm is at shoulder height and across the front of the body. Did you mean supraspinatus impingement?

Alessandro Mainente

no no i mean to ac imp. as you said "The AC joint has maximal compression when the arm is at shoulder height and across the front of the body" that is over 165-170°. instead of feel pain under 120-160° wich is normal for supraspinatus impingement ( i don't have problem in that range) my sh hurts in the upper range. the pain come out during the pronated grip dislocate...

Mark Collins

Do you have any other difficulties with that shoulder?

Alessandro Mainente

yes and on other movements the problem seems to be more the supraspinatus..

 

post-1151-0-09230000-1364386374_thumb.jp

post-1151-0-98027000-1364386394_thumb.jp

 

do these specific movements is impossible without pain

 

Mark Collins

Have you had a health professional assess you? And if so what did they say?

Alessandro Mainente

yes today, probably is an impingement that involves also the supraspinatus

Joshua Naterman
alex87 said:

do you think that pronated dislocate can generate a ac impingement?

There is definitely a possibility for causing impingement, you have to really be careful to learn the movement.

 

My right arm has some mild symptoms of brachial plexus compression, but I have huge cervical ribs so I'm one of those .05% of the population ppl who have genetic structural issues that may prevent me from every making as much progress as I want to make. I think that the issue may have been an ill-advised wall handstand ahead of time, just as a progress check, but it's impossible to say. I've done two of those in the past 5 days, and I simply have no idea what is at fault... it is only on the left side, which is the side I crushed the axillary nerve on 10 years ago. I have also made a lot of progress in my hand width (29" on iM 1, where it was ~42 inches the day H1 came out), and I may need to back off and develop this a lot more slowly because of my specific neck issues.

 

 

There are a lot of subtleties to the dislocates that are not apparent if you aren't very familiar with shoulder function. As you go over the head, you have to internally rotate a bit (which can confuse you because of the position... you may think it is external rotation), and elevate the scapula. You should feel the upper traps doing this, not levator scapula, because you ALSO need to avoid downward rotation. The elevation starts as you break 150-ish degrees of shoulder flexion, and the internal rotation starts somewhere in the 160-170 degree range. If you watch Allan very carefully in the video, you can see this happen. Pay close attention to the elbows as he moves over the head. This is best viewed on iM3. He doesn't appear to elevate a whole lot, but it does happen.

 

I know that sounds complicated, but if you feel the shrugging of the shoulders mostly near the middle of your back and on your neck bones then you may have some levator scapula issues. You SHOULD feel this on the upward angle of muscle going from your shoulder to your neck, which is actually your upper traps. This can take a while to get used to... it is still something I have to be very aware of, personally. I am starting to get the hang of this on my right side, but it's pretty tough.

 

If you are too tight in the chest you can also have issues with these, so it may be a good idea to do some chest, lat, and external rotator stretches before doing the dislocates.

 

A final observation of mine is that if you are working too hard, just in general, on strength work then the tightness you experience will make it difficult to perform the H1 iM movements properly, particularly with pressing.

Alessandro Mainente

thanks for clarification. seems that rest is helping me day by day with the rom. this week i'll finished the 5x5 cycle of most exercises and the next i decide to take a week off and walk or run and only reinforce rotators.

i can remember that at the beginning of febr i was in a weightlifting gym. a client asked me if i can show to him the pectoral machine (that is definitely one of the most horrible machine in the gym). i had no problem. but the following day i had a pain over the ac joint, but no problems over all the movements as dislocate. the problems became bad after.

 

the strange thing is that i've never suffered from dislocate problems. i perform the normal dislocate at shoulders distance.

of course i have to admit that i got a stupid fall in early january and it evolved in supraspinatus problem in the opposite shoulder of ac impingement. since i was healed i cannot perform the dislocate without feel a little needlestick.