This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I need confirmation for my leg work

Started by Riku Calderón, March 24, 2013 · 14 Replies · 460 Views

Riku Calderón

Hi,

I do only F1 and H1 for my strenght program. Nothing else anymore.

I haw 4-6 times MMA in a week. Some are pure skill and others sparring.

The question is that is F1 enough for my leg work? Thanks.

P.S. My upperbody is far more stronger than never before.

Keilani Gutierrez

I don't particularly train with the MMA system, but I do dabble in kick boxing, a bit of muay thai(kicks and clenches), wing chun(hands and legs) and Lung Pek Pai Do(kung fu) and F1 is complementing my kicking strength substantially. 

 

I know I could be doing more, but it's helping with rehab/prehab and strenghtening my hamstrings/knee which is something I never quite did before. 

 

all that aside, if F1(working towards mastering the SLS) is in line with your personal goal for leg strength, then why not? 

 

if it isn't, i'd suggest talking to Patrick Smith or Joshua Naterman, seeing as how they both follow leg routines outside of F1 to compliment their goals in particular. 

 

as of right now, I will be doing deadlifts, but only after mastering SLS and properly rehabbing my hip with the prescribed iM's and that won't be for a while. 

 

edit: also as a note, i need to work on my hip rehab to actually consider myself functional, which right now, im working on a deficit due to my injuries and lack of quality in my previous programming. SLS progressions are helping with this, along with the additional work on the core(lower back, abs, obliques)

 

your kicks are bound to get ridiculously strong, you just need to focus on the efficacy of your technique to put it to good use.  

Riku Calderón

Thanks KeilaniG,

I want to master all of this. And it is in my goals. I love the progressions.

What i am conserned about is my special needs in leg strenght. I am competing in my sport so it is important for me to be strong at my lower body also. I know that gymnastics has different type of needs in legs. I feel that everything in F1 is helping my game but still i wonder about this issue.

Klaudius Petrulis

Many Muay Thai experts don't squat 3x a week. I'm talking about the guys in Thailand, who spend their entire day kicking pads, bags, and banana trees.

Keilani Gutierrez
RiQC said:

Thanks KeilaniG,

I want to master all of this. And it is in my goals. I love the progressions.

What i am conserned about is my special needs in leg strenght. I am competing in my sport so it is important for me to be strong at my lower body also. I know that gymnastics has different type of needs in legs. I feel that everything in F1 is helping my game but still i wonder about this issue.

if that's the case, how far along are you in your SLS training? remember that not only deals with strength, it deals with joint prep, endurance, mobility, etc. 

 

are you already on SE1? or still on the PE's?

Joshua Naterman

My feeling on this is that the OP definitely needs to be following the F1 progressions, but that they should not be his exclusive pursuit.

 

For something like MMA, which is essentially going to rely heavily on Muay Thai style round kicks and teeps for stand up kicking, I definitely suggest Bulgarian split squats, but first you need to master a regular split squat, which means doing them for reps with ~50-60% of your bodyweight in your hands as dumbbells. After you master regular split squats, explore the Bulgarian style (Rear foot instep on bench behind you) to find what weight you can work with good form. I suggest you find a weight you can work for at least 5 good reps, and build up to 10 good reps for both sets before increasing the weight. That goes for regular and Bulgarian SS.

 

My suggestion for the OP is to keep things simple:

 

1) Warm up your legs with mastered F1 work (if any, if none are mastered then do whatever you do for leg warm up)

2) Do 2 sets of split squats with dumbbells

3) Do 3 sets of your current F1 training progression, complete with iM movements.

 

Use the F1 template for your F1 sets. On weeks where more than 3 sets are called for, you should probably stick to 3 sets, because for you the extra leg strength from split squats (and, later on, Bulgarian SS) is worth more than the last two sets of the F1 work.

Riku Calderón

Thank you all. I havent really tested my limits in SLS PEs. I did the master in PE1 but desidet to start from the week 9. Then i popt my knee in competition an did 2 weeks off for legs. Nothing major but it still is kind of weak. So i started again at week 9 :)

Joshua: the bulgarian SS looks like a movement that i shoud do. Thanks for that. But still i need to say that i kick really hard formy weight so that is not the main consern. Its mostly my poor strenght for takedowns. The bulgarian and regular SS looks like the movement that you do when you go to your opponents legs for a takedown. Well at least the lifting part.

I have to do my strenght training at home before my family is awaik so split squats i can manage.

Every competitive MMA fighter that i know does front and back squats and deadlifts. These are the movements that i can not do at home.

Do you guys think that my SLS progression and the new split squats are enough or shoud i still find a way to do th elifts?

I know i want to hear you say that do the progressions and that is fine. but still i need to get this doubt out off my head so please argument your point. I really need it.

P.S. Just notised that there in only 5 progressions in SLS aveilable :D

FredInChina

Your kicking strength will mostly come from your kicking technique - you can be very strong, but if your kicking technique sucks, so will the power of your kicks.

On the other hand, your thighs ability to take a hit require more work than what F1 is proposing. You'll need squatting or deadlifting for reps. (any type of squat will do). You'll also need to do some specific conditioning (hardening) :)

Riku Calderón

Thanks FredInChina.

I am not conserned about the kicking or taking kicks. That part is fine. I have done this and other martial arts for years now.

This is my first strenght program ever. I have only done tecnique and sparring forever.

Now the takedown part is hard for me because i lack the strenght for it. Can someone please say something about that :D

Keilani Gutierrez
RiQC said:

Thanks FredInChina.

I am not conserned about the kicking or taking kicks. That part is fine. I have done this and other martial arts for years now.

This is my first strenght program ever. I have only done tecnique and sparring forever.

Now the takedown part is hard for me because i lack the strenght for it. Can someone please say something about that :D

can you do single leg or double leg takedowns without going down with your opponent? if so, work the SLS progressions and make sure you do something to target your inner thighs musculature to create adequate "spring" in your legs (this will come with time)

 

if you cannot take down your opponent without going down after him, you still need to learn about take downs(unless you're strategy is just to go down so you are able to ground and pound, which is fine, knowing how to take down without being wrapped with your opponent will give you the luxury of choosing strategically what guard you'll assume once you do head down to beat him up)

 

I'm more of a side control kind of guy (to get knees and elbows in) and learning how to properly take down and position yourself  for a particular guard has proven to be extremely useful, since i've had to deal with 200-250lb monsters.

 

Strength= SLS progressions

Technique=learn how to take down without going down, to position yourself in a guard of your choosing to deliver the technique you are available to execute 

Riku Calderón

Thanks KeilaniG again!!!

So I do what i have always done :D but now i haw this great program!!!

I just needed someone else to tell me this also!

Keilani Gutierrez
RiQC said:

Thanks KeilaniG again!!!

So I do what i have always done :D but now i haw this great program!!!

I just needed someone else to tell me this also!

don't mention it, man! that's what we're here for! 

 

now that I know that Charm does Wing Chun, i'll be pestering him for advice as well :P 

Joshua Naterman

Lol!

 

I definitely think that deadlifts are a good idea, I always did them. If you have trouble with them, arch ups (from BtGB, and also in later foundation work) with weight (when you can handle that) are excellent for strengthening your spine so that it doesn't buckle during deadlifts.

 

You WILL get to this as you follow the Foundation program, I can't remember which volume this is, but I do think you should do 1-2 sets of this, and 1-2 sets of deadlifts, 2-3x per week. I would not do more than 3 sets total of these (1 set DL, 2 sets arch up or visa versa), because it will interfere with both your practice sessions and with your F1 work. Also don't work to failure. Use the same type of progression as the split squats.

 

As you can tell, I don't recommend large volumes of weights when following F1. I suggest that you make note of this, because you will get much better results from relying mostly on the Foundation work than you will from relying mostly on the weights.

 

It sounds like you have a good plan, all that you need to do is the work :)

Riku Calderón

Thanks Joshua!