HS alignment check

Started by frolosophy, March 23, 2013 · 8 Replies · 1,757 Views

frolosophy

Hi all,

I've been cleaning up my handstand lately (self-taught), putting emphasis on shoulder mobility over the past month or so. Weather was good today so I went outside to play around for a few minutes. I still feel like my ribcage sticks out slightly...

Aside from not pointing my toes, any criticisms?

Thanks!

post-4263-0-85057100-1364077685_thumb.jp

yuri marmerstein

Your ribs are a bit out and you are slightly piked to compensate.  Nothing major

 

Do you always balance with this head position?

frolosophy

Thanks for the input.

Often I'm a little more neutral, but I try not to have my head tilted too far forward. This isn't abnormal for me. I tend to look "up" at my hands so that my fingers are just shy of the extreme of my vision. Why do you ask?

yuri marmerstein

just wondering.  In my experience, balancing tends to be a bit easier with the head slightly out

frolosophy

I've been working on my tuck for a while which seems more difficult with the head forward. I guess it's translated over to my regular handstand. So far I'm finding it a lot easier to make minor corrections (my body seem more still) with a more "stacked" body line, but larger corrections are more difficult. I'm not sure if this is due to my head position, or just the novelty of getting used to a different body line. I'll keep practising.

Thanks again.

yuri marmerstein

Tuck looks better with the head in, but any handstand can be performed in any head position.  The important part of the position of your shoulders

 

The head out brings the weight forward towards the fingers where you have more control.  Pulling your ribs in and opening your hips will do the same thing in your instance. 

 

Ultimately it doesn't matter, it's personal how you feel the balance.  However keep in mind that you see very few people who do one arm with their head neutral

frolosophy

I've been taking most of my cues from Yuval Ayalon's videos on youtube. In December when I first started exploring the tuck, my form was terrible and it was extremely difficult to balance as a result. Working mobility has helped me with that, and the neutral head position is mostly mimicry of Yuval's form.

I do have my head open when practising one arm drills, and when on blocks/canes especially. On the ground however I feel sufficiently confident with a neutral position.

Consciously pulling in my ribs and opening my hips is still strange for me. I'll practise some more at a wall and try to feel my way around. 

If I understand you correctly, head forward would lessen the importance of open hips/hollow chest? I feel that this would be a slippery slope towards a less than ideal line, no?

yuri marmerstein
frolosophy said:

If I understand you correctly, head forward would lessen the importance of open hips/hollow chest? I feel that this would be a slippery slope towards a less than ideal line, no?

 

No, this is in addition to.  Keep in mind that if the shoulders are fully open and your back is straight it's going to be quite hard to actually pull your head out very far.  it is a subtle cue, just a detail that is good to be aware of

frolosophy

Ah. I'll keep that in mind over the next several weeks as I get more used to the position. Thanks a lot for the advice. It's a privilege to talk to someone of your ability and expertise.