This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What to do after acquiring mastery of top progression?

Started by KingJR, March 23, 2013 · 17 Replies · 664 Views

KingJR

As the title says, I've achieved the mastery reqs for 3 of the wrist push ups progressions on the last progressions. Now do I restart the 12 week program, or do I simply continue doing week 11 all the time while focusing on making my movements slower and with even more control?

Christian

The wrist routine stays for always.

KingJR

you mean stays 5x5 for always? ( or until new progressions are released via Handstands Two )

Christian

I'm a little unsure if you need always to do the full volume, but once you have the mastery the wrist routine will always be in the program. It's great for protecting the wrists and keeping them healthy.

KingJR

Oh yeah, I wasn't asking if I should stop it, I'll always keep it in. It's more the rep scheme after completing the mastery reqs that I'm wondering about.

ausswe

I'd personally just do mastery for 3 weeks then deload 4th the. Keeping repeating until new stuff comes out. Try make it slower and more controlled and maybe start focusing on your hollow boy position or your arm position make sure everything is doing its job properly while you so the wrist stuff

phrak
KingJR said:

As the title says, I've achieved the mastery reqs for 3 of the wrist push ups progressions on the last progressions. Now do I restart the 12 week program, or do I simply continue doing week 11 all the time while focusing on making my movements slower and with even more control?

 

Can you post a video? Pretty sure Coach said even some of his students haven't mastered these all these things yet

Daniel Shields

I find it hard to believe that Coach's athletes would be unable to do 5x5 of the wrist pushup variations.

Joshua Naterman

I'm sure some of his younger athletes are still working on them.

 

I wouldn't worry about who can to what... I would just stay focused on the wrists. I'd do what was suggested, and keep running the last minicycle (week 9-12) until new guidelines come out. Or you can just run week 11 for three weeks and do week 12 for deload.

Nic Branson

Not all of them can with mastery level technique. Everyone who thinks they have mastery I can almost guarantee is moving too fast through the movement.

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

Not all of them can with mastery level technique. Everyone who thinks they have mastery I can almost guarantee is moving too fast through the movement.

This, essentially.

 

If you think you've achieved mastery, try doing it at half the speed. See how you fare with less assistance from the arms. 

 

If you're feeling really strong, you can try it without the pushup phase at all; just move your wrists. 

KingJR

Thanks for the replies people, it all basically confirms what I thought I should do now. I'll keep doing the week 11 series + deload and work on better control and slower tempo.

Samui

I think it is safe to add some extra repetitions AFTER you have spent enough time with the mastery repetitions(5x5r). 

 

By the way, I have noticed drastic improvements in my wrist strength during the past few weeks... I used to be able to do only 1-2 full wrist push-ups but today managed to do TEN after the H1 workout.

Joshua Slocum
KingJR said:

Thanks for the replies people, it all basically confirms what I thought I should do now. I'll keep doing the week 11 series + deload and work on better control and slower tempo.

 

If you're going to drop the tempo, it'd be worth starting at lower volume to give your wrists a chance to adjust. I'd recommend cutting the tempo in half and starting at week 1 (which should be pretty easy for you even at that tempo). 

KingJR
Hari_Seldon said:

If you're going to drop the tempo, it'd be worth starting at lower volume to give your wrists a chance to adjust. I'd recommend cutting the tempo in half and starting at week 1 (which should be pretty easy for you even at that tempo). 

 

I actually think this would be a good idea. I'll go with this idea after my deload week next week.

phrak
Hari_Seldon said:

If you're feeling really strong, you can try it without the pushup phase at all; just move your wrists. 

Why is this harder than with the pushup? It seems like it'd be roughly the same, minus the momenutm from moving the torso.

Coach Sommer
KingJR said:

... basically confirms what I thought I should do now. I'll keep doing the week 11 series + deload and work on better control and slower tempo ...

 

This is correct.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum
phrak said:

Why is this harder than with the pushup? It seems like it'd be roughly the same, minus the momenutm from moving the torso.

The momentum from the pushup portion assists you with the ascent in the wrist portion. Taking that away makes it harder.