How to "get" to ring handstand?

Started by seiyafan, March 22, 2013 · 8 Replies · 4,485 Views

seiyafan

Last night I lower the rings to floor height and kick one right leg first, then second leg, I think the first leg caught the strap, but then heaven and earth flashed in front of my eyes, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor dying, LOL!  :D

 

Should I have kicked both legs up at the same time?

Joshua Slocum

Use some kind of mat  :facepalm:

 

 

A much more controlled ascent is to do a bent-body, bent-arm press. If you're not capable of doing this, you probably aren't ready to be seriously thinking about ring handstands anyways. 

seiyafan
Hari_Seldon said:

Use some kind of mat  :facepalm:

I know, lol  :facepalm:

Jon Douglas

A jump is easy once you get used to it; unfortunately getting used to it might take a couple of roll-throughs. Obviously your weight needs to be as straight up and down as possible until your legs LIGHTLY impact the straps. Personally when I'm doing ring handstands in isolation (not part of a series I mean) I usually jump to a point partway through the bent-arm press mentioned above, then straighten up and lock out.

Klaudius Petrulis

How to get a ring handstand?

_Very_ carefully.

seiyafan

I will be more careful next time, no more kick my legs up then see what happens.  :lol:

seiyafan

I found a safer way to do this and that is having my legs resting on an elevated box. 

MvdB

I know that some people lower the rings to just a few cm above the floor, then get in a headstand between the rings (hands on the floor), and then grip the rings one by one while still in a headstand, put the legs against the straps, and then push out to ring handstand (or as far as they can get).

 

This requires the ability to do at least one HeSPU, of course, but strength-wise it's probably a very good idea to be able to perform HeSPU anyway before you want to tackle ring HS :)

 

I'm not saying this is what you should do - I'm just describing an alternative way to get into the rings which some people have used successfully.