This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Increasing the number of sessions

Started by Sven Ravnstag, March 22, 2013 · 4 Replies · 243 Views

Sven Ravnstag

Has anyone experimented with increasing training frequency by practicing HS and F1 on the same time but in different sessions?  I really enjoy my HS training and I feel like I could benefit from more session per week.

 

One template I was considering was the original Foundation 6 day template (4X/3X), with HS added in 5 days/week.

 

Alternatively, I'm considering keeping the element of F7 which involves training each move 3X/week.  I like that each move is trained an equal number of times/week, and not having the 4th upper body focus would help avoid any over-reaching from the addition of extra HS days.

 
Joshua Slocum

Increasing weekly volume should always be done with great care. First make sure that you can handle the volume you're already at before you consider adding more. F1/H1 3x/week is already the maximum recommended volume. Do that for a 12-week cycle, and evaluate your level of fatigue. If you feel completely fresh and rejuvenated at the end of every deload week, you might be able to handle an additional day. There is no good reason to rush this process. The risk of overtraining far exceeds the benefit of adding 1 or 2 more training days a week. 

 

Also note that being able to handle a certain training volume doesn't make it optimal. Advancement requires giving your body enough recovery time that it can rebuild itself even better than it was before. If you work out so frequently that you are just barely able to recover, you're basically spinning your wheels in place. 

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks Hari, that seems like good advice.  It can be tempting to increase frequency when things are seeming easy; I appreciate you providing some perspective on the matter.

Jon Douglas

Better to be bucking to go than having to drag yourself to training :)

Klaudius Petrulis

I do h1 on f1 days 1/3/5

Seems to work so far