This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL PE1 neck strain

Started by spinelli, March 22, 2013 · 5 Replies · 205 Views

spinelli

After having looked at the video again for SL PE1 I noticed I didn't have my shoulders up around my ears as the athlete in the video does so I attempted to perform them in that manner. Last night my neck felt a bit sore but only very slightly.This morning when I awoke I yawned and my neck clicked and now I'm in quite the amount of pain.
This has happened before so I don't think SL PE 1 is the sole cause but I do think it may have aggravated it, I've been to see a Dr and a osteopath about this before, the Dr didn't seem concerned as I was fine by when I went to see him and the x rays didn't show anything out of the ordinary. 
The osteopath said she could feel something wrong in my neck and tried to "correct" it, not sure really what she did but it also hurt.
It has been much worse in the past (happened about 3 times) but I would like to minimize the cahnces of it happening again, what should I do? Desist SL PE1 entierly, do as before but not try and emulate the athlete? 

 

Klaudius Petrulis

I think only a qualified sports medicine doc can help you here. I would stop for now, and try to see one ASAP. Anyone who tells you to continue training despite this pain is giving bad advice.

Cole Dano

Most likely it's just a matter of the muscles that lift the arms in ABH are not conditioned yet and were strained and cramped. Levator Scapulae being a prime suspect.

 

It will go away in 3-4 days and you will be fine. Until then, really there isn't much you can do to speed it up. Try gentle movements of the neck and head and shoulder shrugs. Heat can help this as well, if you have a heating pad.

 

Like everything it's a process, go a bit easier next time and take your time on this important preparatory element.

spinelli

cheers guys, I'll have a look about for a good sports Dr.

I'm wondering if possibly things have moved back into place, it's still sore today but my neck is feeling pretty loose otherwise. Not going to push it at all for the next few days. Hopefully I'll be back into training at the end of the week. I think this exercise is just one that I'm going to have to spend a long time working on, a little disheartening that but it'll be worth it in the end. 

trw

Was it the kind of neck pain which makes it uncomfortable to turn your head? That has happened to me a few times in the past. It was always a similar feeling to waking up with a sore neck due to settling into a bad position while I slept, just a more intense feeling. More a sore feeling than an acute pain. Don't know if that's your case, but if so, Cole is right. It only ever lasted a few days.

Richard Hamilton

I sometimes wake up with a tightness in my neck and struggle to turn my head one way or the other.

I found the best way to deal with it is putting the kettle on for my coffee and while waiting for it to boil I get 2 or 3mins with a lacrosse ball first thing. The sooner I do this the better the outcome...