This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is it ok to do RC/PE6 on rings?

Started by Ravn, March 22, 2013 · 3 Replies · 330 Views

Ravn

Hi Guys

Would it be alright to do RC/PE6 (which is a static hold, chinup grip, chin over bar, for 5x60s mastery) on the rings?

Since beginning F1 I have developed a slight tweak in my right elbow joint, which I can feel when forcefully straightening the elbow while externally rotating the lower arm. Because a lot of new exercises have been simultaneously introduced to me, it is difficult to isolate the culprit. The most likely offenders are:

The Forward Xiaopeng (although seemingly harmless, I guess this is really a straight-arm strength exercise - proceed with caution! :). Probably been using to heavy a dumbbell. Have reduced the weight).

The Table (initially allowing the elbow to overextend. Am now using more tension in biceps to control extension).

RC/PE6, chin over bar static hang. My right elbow is a bit sore the next day from these. Not good sore, but slightly aching. It feels like the external rotation in the lower arm combined with elbow compression is rough on the joint. I haven't jumped into these, began the progression at week one.

Doing these on rings would lessen the external rotation, putting the hands somewhere in between a pullup and chinup grip, but I don't know if it would defat the purpose of the exercise?

Christian

Instead of altering (even if it's just a little) an exercise, I would see if the reason might not be too much too soon. If you go back to PE4 or 5 is the issue still there? Maybe you just need more time on a lower level to be ready for the next? Just a thought.

Ravn

Yeah, that thought struck me too, but being an ex-climber, pulling is definitely my strong side. Have been doing full lay yewkis in the range of 5x6r for almost a year with no problems. Prior to that I have been doing 5-6 years of climbing, assisted one-arm pullups and heavy weighted pullups, so I am used to a lot of volume.

 

I haven't had a lot of experience with pull-up isometrics though (other than FL), but since PE6 is the first RC-progression to deal with iso's, there really isn't a lower step to go back to. That's why I was thinking of altering the exercise itself.

 

Another option would be to train PE6 on the rings, and then perform the mastery test on a bar. But again, that might remove an elbow conditioning aspect from the training, and I don't want that, right? :) On the other hand, avoiding injury should be top priority.

Joshua Slocum

Do not alter the exercise.

 

If things as light as Xiaopengs (how much weight were you using, anyways?) and Tables are irritating your elbow, that may be a sign of a developing injury. Do you experience any sharp pains in your elbows? If so, I would recommend doing high volumes of hinge-rows for a mini-cycle; at least 15 reps per set for the whole cycle. Movements at 15+ repetitions are good for joint rehabilitation, because they force a lot of blood through the joint which promotes healing. 

 

If it's just a dull ache after training, you might be perfectly fine continuing on as is. It could simply be that your elbows are unused to the isometric contraction, and will adjust soon enough. 

 

This sort of thing can't really be diagnosed over the internet, though. If you're worried that you might have damaged your elbow, you should talk in person with someone who has medical knowledge and get their opinion.