This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tripod head to hand distance

Started by Klaudius Petrulis, March 22, 2013 · 9 Replies · 365 Views

Klaudius Petrulis

How far apart should our hands and heads be? Yesterday I moved my hands back further than usual just to see the difference. I ended up feeling my wrist a whole lot more and failed on the 3rd set. Fatigue was a factor from the day, but the wrist discomfort was unexpected. From what I can tell is that if hands and head are closer, the exercise is easier.

Sorry if I made any spelling/grammar mistakes. I'm on my phone :)

Keilani Gutierrez

you might want to include a video to better serve you, my friend :P 

 

I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing. having your hands closer makes it easier? when its farther away how is it? with lean? body in handstand line with hands backwards?

rynski

If it's the tripod exercise (HS/PE1) - there's a distance that the head falls in front of the hand placement but it's not much. The palms of the hands are pretty flush either side of the knees & then you simply bend down & touch your head a short distance in front. After that you bring the legs up into position.

 

There should be a balanced workload between the wrists & head once holding. I wish I could give you come figures but if you properly scrutinise the illustrations & the video, it's quite clear.  

 

Do you experience pain in the wrists during any of the wrist exercises?

Cole Dano

Hands (wrists) are directly under the elbows, and the elbows are square with the body, not pointing or falling to the sides.

rynski

^^ The response I wanted to write.

George Launchbury

I've been following the same instructions as HS/PE2 (headstand) that you should just be able to see your fingers in peripheral vision.

 

As it happens, the way I get into these (edit: HS/PE1 Tripod) puts my head in about the right place: squat down to position hands, with knees resting just above elbows. Push up on tip-toes to assist in rocking up into frogstand, and is surprisingly easy (I thought) to continue slowly over into headstand (go careful first couple times).

 

I think because my elbows are weighted before I place my head, that my forearms are (by necessity) vertical?

Klaudius Petrulis

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll film myself today and compare my form to the hspe1 video when I get home on Monday.

And to answer, there is no pain, but it feels more like trying a handstand without wrist prep (even though I did my prep!)

But a video should sort it out. Thanks again :)

puckshaw

I make a cubit triangle (length from your fingertips to your elbow). Head goes on the top point, hands on the lower points of the triangle.

Klaudius Petrulis

Recorded myself and watched the video. Distance was good, but noticed my elbows coming over in front of my wrists sometimes. This caused the extra tension.

The closing points:On video I look fine, but during the exercise my hands and head feel very close together. Also elbows were coming in front of wrists for some reason. It hasn't happened before this week and I doubt it's fatigue.

One final point: Doing this exercise on your forehead is much tougher than on the crown. I could sit in a tripod all day on the crown of my skull, but on my forehead the tension in the neck causes me to bail out much faster.

Richard Hamilton

I do the same as as George with the rock through frogstand which seems to position hands and head pretty well. It's a bit tougher to reverse it though! :)