I was wondering if someone could give me some good critique on my ring swings. I've been practicing them consistently for a few months now, but the back uprise just seems impossible. Any help? Thanks
IMG_0411.MOV
Started by Hans Olson, March 22, 2013 · 8 Replies · 2,043 Views
I was wondering if someone could give me some good critique on my ring swings. I've been practicing them consistently for a few months now, but the back uprise just seems impossible. Any help? Thanks
IMG_0411.MOV
Your movie appears to be improperly uploaded. It's only 7KB; all I get when viewing it is a black screen.
My bad, this one should work.
Ring Swings.mov
I was working on them 2 years ago and had about the same question. Here is a good thread if you havn´t read it.
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5177-ring-swings/?p=50529
I've been working on swings for a while... I've read that post a ton of times. Clearly I'm no expert - I'll post a video please feel free to critique - not trying to hijack your thread but hopefully critiquing both can lead to both of us gaining some help!
I know that ideally for back uprise, you want higher back swings to the point where you're lowering as if slowly through planche to support. There is a way to do back uprise even when your backswing is below ring height... pull on the rings and keep them close. Hopefully people more experienced can offer better advice. I also thing strap bar back uprise and pbar back uprise help to an extent.
Both of you are a little bit loose in your body tightness but overall it's decent.
Hans, focus on more vertical turnover. This would be a decent L5 swing. With that swing, I might consider starting to spot inlocates. Still, more turnover to candle in the front and lotus in the back. I use the yoga position "lotus" because honestly there isn't a good name for it. Inverted superman?
Nail, you are turning out the rings too soon. Go back to swinging without any turnout. When you have made your swings as high as possible, then re introduce it. This is a hard habit to break once a gymnast does this. Good luck.
To recant, more focus on turnover to vertical.
You both are swinging too much from your shoulders and hips. There is little need for working the shoulders until your swings are much higher. Kicking the legs with the hips isn't wrong per se, but it is not optimal.
The part of the swing where you add power is called the tap. The primary mechanism of the tap is a quick change in body shape, from arch to hollow when swinging forward, and from hollow to arch when swinging backwards. Many people will tell you to "kick" at the bottom, but I think that is misleading, because you shouldn't actually be moving your legs much relative to your body. The primary articulation comes from flexing/extending your torso, not your hips.
[if either of you work on high-bar swings, most of this holds true on high bar as well. You want to tap from your torso, not your hips.]
When I am warming up basic swings, I like to do a set of 10 arch rocks and 10 hollow rocks in between each set of swings, to help cement the proper body positions. Another good exercise is: from a dead hang, pull into a hollow body position, then relax, and pull into an arched body position, then repeat. This is the fundamental action of a good swing. When you work your swings, focus on three points:
1. At the bottom of the swing, make a quick transition between hollow and arch. You should feel your hips accelerating along with your feet. If you feel your feet accelerate before your hips, it means your hips are bending too much.
2. Don't try to pull the rings apart. This is a distraction until you have mastered the basic mechanism of the swing.
3. Push or pull the rings just enough to make the transition smooth at the bottom. Jerkiness can mean two things: you might not be keeping enough pressure on the rings, or the timing on your tap might be off.
Thanks for the responses... I'll be sure to post updates every now and again and of course will make sure I take good footage of my giants (might have to wait 5+ years to see that:)
I feel like there are mixed responses on turning the rings out... the 'ring swings my way' video on youtube and some others I've spoke with recommend turning rings out as soon as possible. Also, I feel like chin position on the backswing gets mixed results too - I know Coach says chin down in his article, but I've heard multiple times to keep my chin up in the backswing and also have heard this is necessary for real inlocates. Any thoughts?
I have seen a few different styles of coaching the rear swing on Rings. For most, I prefer the chin down to keep the chest down.
Turning the rings is acceptable but only when the swing is ready to turn it out. Hans is ready to start turning the rings out, Nail should not be.