Approximately nine months ago I tore my meniscus. This happened when I just learned how to do basic front and backflips. I learned the backflip way before the front flip and even a cartwheel or roundoff, because I had a good vertical jump. Because the front flip is way harder to do from stance I learned to run into it and bounce off the gymnastics floor.
Unfortunately this bouncing/landing technique (I did) is not optimal if performed on grass. After a while of playing outside I began feeling some pain in the outside part of my left knee. I thought this wasn't something major but soon after it got the point that I couldn't walk anymore.
I decided to go to the hospital, and they did an MRI. They told me I had a torn meniscus and surgery might help. I didn't decide to do surgery after I heard some advice of some PT's. I decided to do a "rehab" program by doing mainly squats and deadlifts.
Now I can proudly say that these exercises helped me to rehab quite well. The only thing is I didn't jump for 9 months! I want to start jumping again but I don't want to mess up this time...
I love tumbling/jumping but I am afraid this will happen again. My question to you guys is: what type of exercises should I go after if I ever want to do this again? This time I don't want to make the same mistakes and want my knees to be bulletproof. Help is very much appreciated.