This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Major cramping during MN/PE2

Started by Creasy, March 20, 2013 · 6 Replies · 351 Views

Creasy

Hi all,

I'm currently in my 7th week of MN/PE1 and things are going great. The other day after finishing my F1 session I decided to have a go at MN/PE2 and on the first rep got some serious cramps in the hip flexor region.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and also if there is anything I can do to assist my transition into MN/PE2? At this stage I can't imagine upon mastering MN/PE1 that I will be able to move onto MN/PE2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

You're in your seventh week. You shouldn't expect success there yet!

 

Having said that, PE2 is a big step up. You will need better flexibility than you currently have, most likely, and there's only one way to get it: Stretch. Preferably with Kit's methods.

prinny
Joshua Naterman said:

You're in your seventh week. You shouldn't expect success there yet!

 

Having said that, PE2 is a big step up. You will need better flexibility than you currently have, most likely, and there's only one way to get it: Stretch. Preferably with Kit's methods.

Are you referring to his bent leg hamstring stretch? I have some pretty poor flexibility in my legs and can't even touch my toes... sad, I know  :( . Are there any recommended stretches to do to increase hamstring and hip flexibility? I see a lot of posts saying PNF stretches help a lot, but they always seem to require a partner.

Joshua Naterman

You can do PNF with just your hands, or with a strap. If you search amazon for a stretching strap you'll find good cheap ones.

Art Vandelay

Yeah I get a fair bit of cramping in my ® hip with this.  If you're tight like me, you could try the Thomas Test as another stretch.

 

For hamstrings, I found amazing progress with Jefferson curls and weighted pike stretches, and just touching toes+ every now and then during the day or workouts.

Creasy

Thanks for the advice guys I have already starting incorporating some hip flexor stretches and strengthening exercises into my workouts. Hopefully these will do the trick.

I do have to say though that the jump from MN/PE1 to MN/PE2 is pretty significant. It feels like there is a missing step between the two. I only say this because of the excellent structure of the rest of the course where most exercises seem to naturally flow on to the next.

Thanks

Adam

Ravn

I think I'll be in trouble too, when I reach MN/PE2. I suspect that a good thorough warmup of pike, pancake and front splits would be necessary, if I am ever to lift my feet to head height. Some dynamic flexibility warmup drills like high kicks or straight leg circles would also be great.

I have never been motivated to train flexibility, because I have been flexible enough for my (basic) pursuits. Just another reason to be happy with F1, as it provides impetus to develop a long neglected area :)