This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Various questions on implementation

Started by Mahex, March 19, 2013 · 8 Replies · 365 Views

Mahex

Hello all,

 

I am posting this in the H1 forum as some of my questions are directly related to the course content. I have purchased both F1 and H1 and am finding the content of the two courses very valuable (the mobility work in particular). Prior to revamping my workouts, I have developed a two-second straddle planche, a three-second straddle front lever and a 12-second back lever.

 

As most of my goals are handbalancing related, I decided to go for the four-day integrated schedule as provided in H1. I am now wondering:

 

1. In order to maintain my progress, will it be necessary to add additional work to the schedule? If so, how would you recommend I structure this additional work?

 

2. I was thinking of adding a day of dedicated FL, BL and PL work after one of my H1 days. Is this a smart approach?

 

3. A question on wrist work. What is the recommended rest between sets of wrist exercises (WP, FKP, etc)? I suppose I might have missed this if it was covered in the course material.

 

Thanks in advance.  :)

Joshua Naterman

I would consider doing a single, short hold of each of those statics before and after your workouts 3-4 days per week, but not more than that.

 

For one thing, I don't think you'll need more than that to maintain what you've built.

 

I also think that it is very easy to over-train, and more volume than this may be too much.

 

 

 

More and less are both wrong: The right amount is the right amount. In this case, you need the right amount to maintain your abilities, and no more. That's not much.

 

Someone else will have to give you advice on the wrist stuff, I have always had this mastered as far back as I can remember, with the exception of the fingertip push ups, but those came rapidly for me as well.

 

I would suggest you experiment with 60s rest times, but I think you may need someone else's guidance for the wrist portion. I do things for my wrists, including the mastered exercises, but I do them like so:

 

  1. H1 PE3, 60s
  2. A circuit of wrist stuff, one set each for 5-10 reps
  3. repeat for the prescribed sets in H1, which is 5 sets for me right now.
Mahex

Thanks for the rapid answer!  

 

I really like the idea of short holds before and after, especially as this does not require a massive time investment. I'll give 60s rest times a go, it sounds fine. I had minor wrist tendonitis in my left wrist early this year (which I resolved with band exercises as per the recommendation of my physiotherapist), and am taking it easy with the wrist progressions outlined in H1. Sometimes it feels like I am underworking, but then I remind myself that I am making haste slowly. :)

ausswe

I thought I saw coach say somewhere to do giant sets with all the wrist exercises and don't rest more than the time it takes to shake it out after each set. I could be wrong but that's how I do it ATM an it feels pretty dam good!

Joshua Slocum
Mahex said:

Hello all,

 

I am posting this in the H1 forum as some of my questions are directly related to the course content. I have purchased both F1 and H1 and am finding the content of the two courses very valuable (the mobility work in particular). Prior to revamping my workouts, I have developed a two-second straddle planche, a three-second straddle front lever and a 12-second back lever.

 

As most of my goals are handbalancing related, I decided to go for the four-day integrated schedule as provided in H1. I am now wondering:

 

1. In order to maintain my progress, will it be necessary to add additional work to the schedule? If so, how would you recommend I structure this additional work?

 

2. I was thinking of adding a day of dedicated FL, BL and PL work after one of my H1 days. Is this a smart approach?

 

3. A question on wrist work. What is the recommended rest between sets of wrist exercises (WP, FKP, etc)? I suppose I might have missed this if it was covered in the course material.

 

Thanks in advance.  :)

 

So, to be clear, are you planning on doing no foundation work at all, then? I would consider Foundation work to be extremely beneficial to someone who wanted to to hand-balancing, as it will build the strength you need for movements like presses and crocodiles. 

Mahex
Hari_Seldon said:

So, to be clear, are you planning on doing no foundation work at all, then? I would consider Foundation work to be extremely beneficial to someone who wanted to to hand-balancing, as it will build the strength you need for movements like presses and crocodiles. 

I will be doing all 7 foundation exercises twice weekly, as outlined in the 4 day a week foundation integration program in H1.  :) 

Nic Branson
ausswe said:

I thought I saw coach say somewhere to do giant sets with all the wrist exercises and don't rest more than the time it takes to shake it out after each set. I could be wrong but that's how I do it ATM an it feels pretty dam good!

That is one way yes. With the wrists you have options on structure.

Joshua Slocum
Mahex said:

I will be doing all 7 foundation exercises twice weekly, as outlined in the 4 day a week foundation integration program in H1.  :)

Oh, I forgot 'integrated template' meant F1+H1 

 

F1H1 sounds like a virus  :lol:

Joshua Naterman

It's the virus that all the cool kids try to get :)