This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Good specific weighttraining-exercises and programming for gymnastics?

Started by Raidho, March 19, 2013 · 3 Replies · 340 Views

Raidho

I'm currently working on pe1 of F1, really challenging. But I don't want to drop training with weights entirely since I enjoy it and would like some more hypertrophy, especcially for my upper back and scapulae-area. 5x3 hinge rows doesnt cut it as the only back exercise for my back.

But I don't want to add unusable bulk, only bulk that is "used to" performing gymnastic movements. In essence scaled bodyweight-movements using for instance dumbbells in the 8-12 range.

Anyone have any good tips on sources of information where I can find specific weight-exercises for gymnastics, like planche, backlever, maltese etc? And also how to program it correctly?

Joshua Slocum

Hypertrophy takes time. Trying to rush it will result in overtraining. Have patience, focus on mastering the foundations, eat well, and you'll find yourself bulking up soon enough. Is there a specific reason why you're in such a rush to build up your upper back? 

 

Several forum members have tried combining F1 with a weight-training program. So far, I believe they have all found that when F1 started to ramp, the weight-training began to interfere too much with their recovery. You may be able to manage some supplemental weight training in the beginning, but after a while you're likely to find that it becomes more of a hindrance than a help. 

 

All this is not to tell you that you can't or shouldn't do weight training in parallel with F1, just that you should be aware of some potential complications. Unfortunately I have no experience with attempting to build GST-style strength through freeweights, so I can't be of much assistance with choosing exercises. For programming, 8-12 reps is a reasonable range for stimulating hypertrophy. I would recommend doing a handful of sets each day after you complete your foundation work. 

George Launchbury

I am working on RC/PE2 now (incline rows), and just hitting Week 7 (5x9r), and am noticing visible changes in my upper back development. Often during my warm up I will throw in some incline row "shrugs", which along with the iM for this, have helped immensely with good movement patterns and muscle activation.

 

This has always been a weak area for me, but now it is one of my stronger exercises!?

Joshua Naterman

I'm just going to be honest here with the OP:

 

If the PE1 exercises are challenging for you, thinking about weight training for planche, maltese, etc is just a bad use of your mental energy.

 

If you enjoy lifting, do 1-2 sets in your warm up.

 

There won't be more specific advice posted publicly.

 

For your scapular musculature, I think that the single best thing you can do is get H1 and focus on the first 4 mobility exercises. Mine is getting significantly thicker, and more importantly I'm actually learning to control them in a slowly increasing range of motion.