This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 & 50 or 100 push ups in a row

Started by FredInChina, March 18, 2013 · 17 Replies · 932 Views

FredInChina

This is a twofold question to help me address colliding priorities:

 

(1) How best to train to build up to do 50 or 100 push ups in a row (good form, no rest)?

There are many resources on the web, and Training for BUDs protocol was mentioned elsewhere (I have the book), and they all have merit; is it preferable not to go to failure, or is going to failure advisable?

What is your suggestion for an efficient plan?

 

(2) How to integrate such a protocol for strength endurance into F1?

I am doing F1 5 days a week + H1 3 days (but easy peasy from the very first week).

H1 limiting factor is the wrists, so that will take time.

F1 is a priority, but so is large number of consecutive push ups... :)

 

Thank you for your input & help.

Somalie

I think the answer is simple. Attain mastery according to F1 and simply utilize the higher mastery templates.

I.e - 15r Mastery to 30r Mastery to a 45r Mastery and so on and so forth.

In regards to integration I think the sacrifice would have to be giving up a day for more recovery time.

Jon Douglas

^ would probably work...

Personally I found planche leans and PPP to have carryover substantially more effective/ time efficient than specifically doing pushups.

 

But I built up high rep sets when I was training full time, so I don't have much useful advice...

Joshua Slocum

For the present I would recommend just focusing on sPL and HBP work. First because the high-volume pushup training would likely interfere, and second because high-volume pushup training will become immensely easier when you've become much stronger from the foundation work. You want to get to the point where pushups are no longer a test of strength. Then it becomes merely a matter of anaerobic endurance. 

 

 

Somalie said:

I think the answer is simple. Attain mastery according to F1 and simply utilize the higher mastery templates.

I.e - 15r Mastery to 30r Mastery to a 45r Mastery and so on and so forth.

In regards to integration I think the sacrifice would have to be giving up a day for more recovery time.

 

I don't know that you can just scale up mastery templates like that. Pushups are set at 15r mastery because they are more neuromuscularly taxing than arch-rocks, for example. 30r pushup mastery is a much more difficult goal than 15r; trying to jump from 15r to 30r in just 12 weeks won't necessarily work. 

Eric HARDOUIN

Just my two cents, but I would also aim F1 sFL and HBP mastery first. Especially mastering serratus activation and scapula stability / mobility before training high rep PU, since there aren't - at all - shoulder friendly from a biomecanical perspective... 

 

Edit : actually the entire F1 course (at least RC + SL + MN) would be best, for the reason above...

Coach Sommer

- One hundred pushups is no challenge at all for someone of adv beginning or higher GST ability.  

 

The pushup records for my youngest athletes (ages 6-8) was 300 and 350 respectively.  And these were good quality pushups.  No sagging and they had to touch their chest to my fist for each rep.  Incorrect reps were not counted.

 

- Keep life simple as pushup strength endurance is relatively simple to achieve.  After your F1 training is completed; simply add a few sets of pushups in at the end of the workout.  

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

p.s.  Even though they achieved high repetitions, pushups were not a regular part of the above athletes conditioning.  We only did them occassionally as fun contests with my younger group.  Their main conditioning focus?  GST.

N00dl3
Coach Sommer said:

p.s.  Even though they achieved high repetitions, pushups were not a regular part of the above athletes conditioning.  We only did them occassionally as fun contests with my younger group.  Their main conditioning focus?  GST.

annnnnnd thats why I am here!

Nautique163

I would think if you truly master all 6 F1 elements you would already have it.

Joshua Naterman

If you finish F1, mastered with good form, I think you will have no trouble building up to 50 perfect push ups rather easily in 8-12 weeks at the most.

 

If you are not strong, strength-endurance is very hard to develop (relatively speaking). There's a good reason why the strength comes first, and the endurance second, in that phrase.

Klaudius Petrulis

I did a protocol to get to 50 in a row, pretty much did as many push-ups as I could every morning in sets of 3. I always left a little in the tank after each set. I didn't keep up with the training, so I've probably lost some reps. Ymmv.

FredInChina

Thank you all for your input, very helpful & appreciated. :)

I'll keep it simple and add a couple of sets at the end of F1 workouts.

thecolin
Coach Sommer said:

The pushup records for my youngest athletes (ages 6-8) was 300 and 350 respectively. 

 That's bloody impressive! I'm curious, since you specified your youngest athletes, does that mean that the ability to reach this kind of volume decreases with your older athletes?

Klaudius Petrulis
thecolin said:

That's bloody impressive! I'm curious, since you specified your youngest athletes, does that mean that the ability to reach this kind of volume decreases with your older athletes?

I would assume this is the case. Though I'm sure they can still do big numbers.

Coach Sommer
thecolin said:

 That's bloody impressive! I'm curious, since you specified your youngest athletes, does that mean that the ability to reach this kind of volume decreases with your older athletes?

 

Not at all.  It simply means that my higher level athletes and I are busy pursuing higher levels of GST and no longer have time for "pushup wars"!   :)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

neil gillies

Any chance of a video? 300+ pushups with good form would be beyond (I imagine) anything that most people on this board have seen before, or even thought possible! With a cadence of 1s up/1s down, that's 10 minutes or more of continuous work on the upper body!

Cheers,

Neil

thecolin
neil gillies said:

Any chance of a video? 300+ pushups with good form would be beyond (I imagine) anything that most people on this board have seen before, or even thought possible! With a cadence of 1s up/1s down, that's 10 minutes or more of continuous work on the upper body!

Cheers,

Neil

 

That seems like a lot of time and effort just to see somebody do a whole crap load of push ups. If you really need to see it, grab one of the existing videos and put it on a loop. ;-)

 

And if you're in doubt that it's possible, the world record is around 10,000 consecutive push-ups (though most world records seem to count partial ROM push ups, but it's still impressive).

neil gillies

You make a good point!

I guess I am just skeptical that such volumes can be achieved with good form and a video is an easy and quick way to shut me up! The fact that I haven't seen it done and can't do it myself certainly doesn't mean it isn't possible and I don't intend this to come across as questioning Coach's integrity: I would hope he would always encourage questions of this nature.

Cheers,

Neil

Jon Douglas
neil gillies said:

You make a good point!

I guess I am just skeptical that such volumes can be achieved with good form and a video is an easy and quick way to shut me up! The fact that I haven't seen it done and can't do it myself certainly doesn't mean it isn't possible and I don't intend this to come across as questioning Coach's integrity: I would hope he would always encourage questions of this nature.

Cheers,

Neil

No doubt, but that's then time taken away from preparing competitive athletes.