Shoulder supporter?

Started by garth64, March 17, 2013 · 5 Replies · 1,997 Views

garth64

While watching a college gymnastic competition recently I saw that one of the gymnasts had something that looked like it was taped across and around his left shoulder; does anyone know what this is and it's function? Thanks.

garth64

Kinesio tape!

irongymnast

I always wondered if it had any real effects or if it was mostly hype. Anyone that has tried it and can provide an opinion on this?

garth64

I ordered a roll to try.

FutureisNow

It's not for "support" really or shouldn't be used that way like athletic tape is.

 

It was invented about 30 years ago and intended to reduce inflammation (perhaps like pressure garments).

It was explained to me by Chiros that it also increass subliminal body awareness and proprioception.

In any event, there isn't a lot of evidence for it, but exposure during the 2008 Olympiad and other sporting events

brought it to general public's attention and sales have risen over 300% since then.

garth64

The reason I'm trying it is that I have some inflammation in my shoulder and bicep tendons.