Critique & Advice for my handstand

Started by gennadi88, March 17, 2013 · 6 Replies · 1,582 Views

gennadi88

Hey guys. newbie here- I've been practising HS everyday for about a month now and wanted some advice. 

I can see that I do not have the straight line as of yet. What do I need to concentrate on?

My goal is to do the one armed handstand and at the moment I am trying to be able to hold the freestanding HS for 60 seconds as has been recommended on these boards. 

 
 

 

frolosophy

Your balance is okay, but you need to work on your shoulder mobility. Practise lying with your back on the floor and your arms extended as if you are in a handstand. While in this position, pull in your chest and roll your hips forward so your lower back is flat against the floor. This will feel very awkward at first, and you may not be able to keep your arms touching the floor. Holding weights in your hands while attempting to touch your lower back to the floor will allow you to better stretch your shoulders. 

Do this for a while and after you get the feel for the different position, try putting it into practise in a handstand (against a wall would be a good idea at first). I haven't started the H1 program, but from what I understand there are many mobility drills to address such problems in depth.

The drill I mentioned above is fairly simple and used quite often with good results.

gennadi88

Thanks for that - I tried this and it feels like a good stretch. Ill continue doing it and see how it progresses. 

FredInChina

Get H1

Sorted! :)

Mats Trane

To save you alot of time in progressing I can highly recomend getting F1

RandomHavoc
Mats Trane said:

To save you alot of time in progressing I can highly recomend getting F1

I assume you meant H1.

Mats Trane

Of course (sorry) H1