This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 going great, however, advice on extra mobility/stretching

Started by N00dl3, March 16, 2013 · 8 Replies · 447 Views

N00dl3

Hey all,

 

F1 is going great and I can't stress enough how I like that everything is laid out for me. I have been doing the iM moves as prescribed and a few extra on off days (Xaiopeng and Windmills are the bomb!). My problem is that I am having trouble achieving the same arch in the Arch Body Hold that the model does. The other lagging part is not achieving quite the split angle on the Straddle Up.

 

Currently I am doing a few static stretches but I am a bit clueless on developing a 'program' which will compliment and make certain I don't hit any 'mobility roadblocks' as the strength in these moves comes along. Not close to mastery on either move (or many else for that matter) so it isnt panic stations, just want to stay on top of things.

 

What makes up your warm up/aux stretching program?

 

Thanks in advance,

 

-Matt

Mark Collins

I am doing the mobility exercises more often. I am also doing a lot of PNF stretches in my tight areas.

spinelli

You could start performing the iMs for the next levels of elements. I'd have thought the progression that's building towards the gymnastic bridge would be the one you want to do, just don't do anything weighted in an extreme position unless you have the required strength in the ROM to do so safely. 
Hopefully S1 will be out shortly but my advice would be to work on your straddle and your pike stretch.

Julian Wilson

You could complement your F1 warmup with some light dynamic stretching. Since you're a guy, like me, you probably lack lower body flexibility, unless you have any other specific problems. Personally, I take some of Kit Laughlin's stretches as static stretches everyday and I do PNF stretches for my inner thighs (side splits) and for my hamstrings 3 days a week.

Erik Bowling
N00dl3 said:

Hey all,

 

F1 is going great and I can't stress enough how I like that everything is laid out for me. I have been doing the iM moves as prescribed and a few extra on off days (Xaiopeng and Windmills are the bomb!). My problem is that I am having trouble achieving the same arch in the Arch Body Hold that the model does. The other lagging part is not achieving quite the split angle on the Straddle Up.

 

Currently I am doing a few static stretches but I am a bit clueless on developing a 'program' which will compliment and make certain I don't hit any 'mobility roadblocks' as the strength in these moves comes along. Not close to mastery on either move (or many else for that matter) so it isnt panic stations, just want to stay on top of things.

 

What makes up your warm up/aux stretching program?

 

Thanks in advance,

 

-Matt

I have been noticing issues achieving the same level of arch on the Arch Body Hold as well. As best I can tell it seems as though starting with your legs parted then moving them closer together as time goes on may be the only option as far as achieving the same level of arch with the legs together. It may take longer to master that way but I would think it taking longer would be more beneficial than continuing to not get it right as that may lead to high frustration. That said, I've noticed that I don't have to part my legs much to get a good arch. Maintaining it with legs together will simply take longer.

 

Basically, do what you are able to work toward the goal. Even if that requires more baby steps, assuming it's not enforcing bad habits of course.

 

Oh, and, you may want to start off your workout with an exercise you find difficult. I've found that if I do the ones I have a difficult time with I have an easier time maintaining good form than if I do it later in the session. For me this means Arch Holds and Deck Squats first most of the time.

N00dl3

Great advice from everyone!

 

One thing i noticed was that tho my ABH bend didn't improve with legs apart, it did however if i put my arms at my side instead of infront of me. I may work the arms down motion as reps rather than a hold as kind of a aux mobility as i can get up quite high without the arms. This wouldn't be due to tight shoulders would it? In any case I know what way i need to head with the suggestions!

 

Thanks again,

 

-Matt

Joshua Naterman

That would be due to insufficient strength in the upper spinal erectors. You just need to start off with the arms lower, and as time goes on you'll be able to hold the same arch with the arms higher and higher.

Joshua Naterman

You may also want to consider doing Seal/Cobra stretches. You can do these PNF-style as well as passively.

N00dl3

Cool i will use that as a PE0.5 ha

 

Cant wait till sort all this week muscles out!