This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Difference plank vs. pushup start position + form check

Started by spyro7800, March 16, 2013 · 7 Replies · 509 Views

spyro7800

I have always thought that starting pushup and plank position are same.

 

Now I noticed that in F1 they are demonstrated differently.(first is push up/ second is plank)

 

post-3146-0-73268100-1363463851_thumb.pn

 

I also use to do push ups from demonstrated plank position, and therefore I had problem with touching my chest to floor. 

 

Here is picture of me in both positions: (first is plank/second push up)

post-3146-0-25720200-1363464274_thumb.pn

 

So my questions are:

 

These positions should be different?

 

Is my upper back too rounded in plank? Should my chest be more "proud"?

 

Oh and here is video of both push up variations with different form. I presume first one is correct.

 

 

Will there we difference also in PPU starting position and planche lean?? I don't think so in this case.

 

I hope this all makes sense

 

 

 

thecolin

I'll wait for somebody else to give a definitive answer, but when I do the hollow body plank like the course video it feels stable and strong. Trying it like you do it just seems to put a lot of excess pressure on my neck.

 

For the push ups, I like to push up at the end into a more hollow position, but other than that I do the move in a more neutral flat body position.

 

That's just my two cents, but I'm curious what other people have to say about it.

spyro7800

bump

Joshua Slocum

The plank and pushup in foundation 1 are supposed to have different start positions. The Foundation plank is a lead-in to learning planches, and as such, should be performed with a similar body position. Your chest/upper back should be rounded, or "hollow". The pushup, on the other hand, should be done with a straight body as demonstrated.  

 

The first variation of pushups you did was good, but your hips are a bit bent (you can tell because your legs and torso are not in a straight line), so you should fix that.

 

Your plank form looks good.

spyro7800

thank you Hari,

 

yeah I noticed the pike in pushup position as well.

 

Anyway do you think there is also same difference between planche lean and PPP starting position?

Joshua Slocum

It looks different in the demonstration videos. In the PPP the athlete's chest is not rounded, but his hips and knees are also slightly bent. Given that the exercise is a progression from the pushup, my guess would be that the intent is for the exercise to be performed with a straight body. The planche lean should definitely be performed with a rounded back, as demonstrated. 

P5yx
Joshua Slocum said:

It looks different in the demonstration videos. In the PPP the athlete's chest is not rounded, but his hips and knees are also slightly bent. Given that the exercise is a progression from the pushup, my guess would be that the intent is for the exercise to be performed with a straight body. The planche lean should definitely be performed with a rounded back, as demonstrated. 

Any "official" statements on that?

Aadil Siddiqi

Copy the video. That is Mastery.