Muscle-Up Video

Started by azey47, January 10, 2009 · 9 Replies · 2,769 Views

azey47

Hello Everyone,

I've posted up my first video of my muscle-up. In fact it's the first time I've seen what it looks like!

BUM3cWoGHZI

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions on how it can improve, so that one day it may be like Andreas Aguilar's muscle up :D

Here are the things I already see that could be improved:

1. Keep the knees straight throughout the whole motion.

2. Keep the chest up (especially in the transition)

3. Keep the back (especially upper back) flat

Now, for the support: notice how I start leaning forward and my legs swing back at the end? How should I prevent this from happening? Which muscles should I be focusing on contracting?

Thanks to all of you in the forum, and especially Coach Sommer. I'm sure I speak for many when I say your contribution is greatly appreciated! I can't wait until your Gymnastic Bodies Seminar!

- Andrew

matthew.percussion

Wow! This is a very clean muscle-up(in my opinion). I don't really see much of a problem with your support, but generally to keep from swaying I just focus on keeping my legs tightly together and the rings tight into my sides.

Good luck with your training.

Blairbob

good. focus on keeping the L as you push out of the hole.

it might serve you to work L dips towards this.

azey47

Thanks for the advice. I've been neglecting keeping the rings in close to my body in the support.

Having re-watched Aguilar's muscle-up, I realize that he went to the L-sit throughout the whole muscle-up. I'll definitely be doing some L-sit dips to work on my "out of the whole technique".

Thanks guys!

Gregor
azey47 said:

Now, for the support: notice how I start leaning forward and my legs swing back at the end? How should I prevent this from happening? Which muscles should I be focusing on contracting?

Squeeze your abs and bottom.

azey47

thanks Gregor!

I saw on one your videos that you train in a support and swing on the rings. My rings are not mounted from high enough for me to be able to do that, so how long would you recommend I be able to hold a static (as in NO motion) support for?

Gregor
azey47 said:
thanks Gregor!

I saw on one your videos that you train in a support and swing on the rings. My rings are not mounted from high enough for me to be able to do that, so how long would you recommend I be able to hold a static (as in NO motion) support for?

my recomendation would be 30s-60s...

progresions from easier to havier:

1.palms facing in

2.palms facing side ways

3.palms facing out

4.palms facing out and L-seat

If it's even then to easy you can put some weights...

azey47

fantastic. thanks a lot.

Brandon

I would also recommend rotating the rings outwards when you're in support, notice the difference in these 2 photos

support1.jpg

support2.jpg

Gregor

I don't see any use of rotation...Just hold in a support with palms facing out (under-grip).