This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skeptical of inside squats

Started by RatioFitness, March 16, 2013 · 9 Replies · 471 Views

RatioFitness

Lately I've been doing inside squats and I've started having knee pain on the outside of my knees.

 

The volume I've been doing is really low. Probably no more than 30-40 reps in a week. I don't feel like I've been going lower than my knees can handle as I never felt pain or even strain when doing the exercise. 

 

I can't know for sure that the inside squats have caused my knee pain, but it has started at the same time I've been doing them. Also, some would argue that it's an inherently dangerous exercise. 

karimoo

Any exercise is dangerous if done incorrectly or done without proper preparation.  Inside squats are no different, and must be built up to.  I didn't go all the way down when I started, but having a few years of Capoeira in the bank, my knees were quite mobile and strong in these awkward positions already and I soon achieved the full ROM.

 

If you've already completed mastery of the previous mobility and strength elements, I'm sure that doing what you can at the depth you feel comfortable with, will be enough to ensure progress to allow you to reach the full ROM soon.  Also, making sure you warm up the joints with some movement prior to beginning this training will help you a lot to prevent pain or injury.

Jon Douglas

The course does warn to keep the initial ROM conservative. Knee mobility in particular is one not to rush, they're too fragile.

Coach Sommer

- Your initial ROM is too large.  Reduce it to half immediately.

 

- Your initial volume appears to be too high.  This may be due to either beginning at week 5 or 9 or doing too many days per week.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

dritar

Hello Coach,

 

Sorry about hijacking the thread. I'm not doing inside squats yet, but I've tested how the movement feels and I've got a question.

 

I've tried the movement and it felt pretty okay even going very low. However I've noticed later that the athlete in the video lifts the outside edge of the foot before initiating the squat but I kept the whole foot in contact with the floor. I've tried do it this way and the movement felt somewhat more unstable. Is balancing against the inside edge of the foot important ?

Coach Sommer

- Keeping the foot flat on the floor is incorrect.

- Perfectly executed, at the bottom of the movement the inside of the ankles should be flat in the floor.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

dritar

Thanks Coach. Once again the devil is in the details.

JN12

- Your initial volume appears to be too high. This may be due to either beginning at week 5 or 9 or doing too many days per week.

 

I thought the number of reps for the iM stays the same? Therefore it wouldn't matter at which week he started, or am I getting something wrong?

Coach Sommer

The number of total sets varies according to which week is the starting point.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

JN12

yes, the answer occurred to me this morning.

sorry for this stupid question, you shouldn't post if you're tired. 

 

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: