This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest time between sets ?

Started by MrPuppeh, March 16, 2013 · 12 Replies · 471 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi !

 

The Coach wrote that the rest time should be like:

 

*I finish my work set (set 1)

*I do the mobility work set

*Get back on to the next work set of the exercise ( set 2)

*continue till you have done all work sets as planned

 

so in the exercise Hollow Body hold for 5x60 I have to do 1 set followed by  the 30 sec mobility work and then continue ?

 

This is kinda hardcore then because i could barely do the tuck Body hold for 5x30 with ~60 sec of rest.

 

This means that there is a lot of work ahead of me right? 

gohei_

I think that's how it's done, that's also the reason why some "easy" exercises become really hard  :P

Hercules

You are... correct  :icon_twisted:

dritar
gohei_ said:

I think that's how it's done, that's also the reason why some "easy" exercises become really hard  :P

Not only that, but I think some of the mobility movements have some "sinergy" with the strength movement. Forward Xiapengs as "recovery" between high rep pushups... I know its good for us, shoulder health and all, but it kinda feels evil :).

Patrick Smith

Haha, it takes a bit of getting used to, but you have to scale your strength from doing sets + long rests to the sets+mobility. Remember, if you can't do a week's requirements of set+mobility for the prescribed number, then you must move back in the schedule until you find a week that you can do. 

 

You'll get used to it though!

prinny

I thought H1 said to only rest enough time to be able to do the iM. Are we really supposed to do the specified exercise and iM with no rest, and only rest when moving to the next exercise?

spinelli

Joel,
That is indeed correct, to further compound the difficulty of H1 only complete sets count. So for example if you fall out of a handstand at 48s when you're aiming for 60s you have to repeat the whole set again for 60s, not just get back up into a handstand for a further 12s. 
That's going to become incredibly evil at the higher levels  :icon_twisted:

stefanhinote
spinelli said:

Joel,

That is indeed correct, to further compound the difficulty of H1 only complete sets count. So for example if you fall out of a handstand at 48s when you're aiming for 60s you have to repeat the whole set again for 60s, not just get back up into a handstand for a further 12s. 

That's going to become incredibly evil at the higher levels  :icon_twisted:

 

spinelli said:

Joel,

That is indeed correct, to further compound the difficulty of H1 only complete sets count. So for example if you fall out of a handstand at 48s when you're aiming for 60s you have to repeat the whole set again for 60s, not just get back up into a handstand for a further 12s. 

That's going to become incredibly evil at the higher levels  :icon_twisted:

rep. Set would truly be evil. ;)

prinny

Thanks spinelli. Guess I'm going to have to scale back some tests. Resting only before a mobility and before the next exercise movement definitely makes things tougher. Out of curiosity, why the minimal rest? Does it build better strength or endurance, possibly both?

dritar
spinelli said:

Joel,

That is indeed correct, to further compound the difficulty of H1 only complete sets count. So for example if you fall out of a handstand at 48s when you're aiming for 60s you have to repeat the whole set again for 60s, not just get back up into a handstand for a further 12s. 

That's going to become incredibly evil at the higher levels  :icon_twisted:

But I think on H1 you can rest a bit more. It's skilll work not conditioning. I think this was mentioned in a post somewhere.

spinelli

stefanhinote

Stefanhinote

Good save there, yes that would be incredibly harsh.

Joel

Not entirely sure about this but I think it's to promote maximum work capacity and musculature to prevent injury and allow you to work the higher level exercises for a longer duration. 

 

Dritar

I didn't notice that one, cheers. I've found so far that my wrists are getting a good endurance workout, this is only at the lower levels so I cant comment on the higher levels at all but I have found that I feel much less need for rest performing H1 compared to F1. However after I've done F1, H1 does take quite a bit of concentration for me not to fall out of my headstand!

 

Joshua Slocum
Joel Alambra said:

Thanks spinelli. Guess I'm going to have to scale back some tests. Resting only before a mobility and before the next exercise movement definitely makes things tougher. Out of curiosity, why the minimal rest? Does it build better strength or endurance, possibly both?

It builds both strength and endurance. The idea is to build a high work capacity for fundamental movements, so that it does not restrict you later on. More advanced GST movements tend to be composed of multiple easier exercises: being able to perform harder elements with volume requires being able to do the easier elements with even more volume. You can't train dips with any volume if just holding a support makes you fatigued, because part of holding a dip is coming to support at the top; similarly you can't train muscle-ups with any volume if you get tired after a handful of dips or pull-ups; and you can't train Galimores with any volume if you get tired after a handful of muscle-ups, front-levers. or planche push-ups. 

dritar

Dritar

I didn't notice that one, cheers. I've found so far that my wrists are getting a good endurance workout, this is only at the lower levels so I cant comment on the higher levels at all but I have found that I feel much less need for rest performing H1 compared to F1. However after I've done F1, H1 does take quite a bit of concentration for me not to fall out of my headstand!

 

I prefer to do H1 before F1. I feel it's a nice warmup overall and it doesn't interfere with F1. Albeit, I'm doing the tripod still so maybe my opinion may change when I'm doing say hs wall runs for 5 sets of 60 :).