This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation 1 from the very beginning, Week 1 Day 1

Started by TheLastCareBear, March 15, 2013 · 7 Replies · 401 Views

TheLastCareBear

I'm curious if anyone is starting Foundation one from Week 1 Day 1 even though they clearly could start somewhere more advanced in the program.  If so why? Are there benefits to doing this?

 

I'm considering doing foundation 1 this way even though I could start somehwere more advanced in the program. I'm considering this because Foundation 1 is going to be my first serious fitness routine since i had Ingunial hernia surgery 3 months ago, and I still worry that I might re-injure myself or not build proper core  strength for the more advanced stuff later.

 

 

Vincearoo

Fast track the ones that you're confident with.

I can do sls/pe1 with mastery, but my knees aren't that great, so I'm going to do a mini cycle with it anyways.

Hercules

I took a step back further than I thought I'd need - I'm starting from week 5 rather than week 9 in many of the elements, and I realise I couldn't have managed going from week 9.

Take a step back, but don't go in excess or anything.

Vincearoo said:

Fast track the ones that you're confident with.
I can do sls/pe1 with mastery, but my knees aren't that great, so I'm going to do a mini cycle with it anyways.

I'm doing the same with all the SLS PE. I can complete mastery of all the elements (and iMs... except twisting squats) but want to have more knee prehab. I'm still doing a bit of extra leg work though - sprints and harop curls.

FredInChina
TheLastCareBear said:

(...)  Foundation 1 is going to be my first serious fitness routine since i had Ingunial hernia surgery 3 months ago, and I still worry that I might re-injure myself or not build proper core  strength for the more advanced stuff later.

 

Good thinking, I think that it is a good idea to start easy peasy in your case :)

Klaudius Petrulis

I have quite a few of the movements mastered, but I decided to start from week 1 to work on form and mobility.

 

edit: and by form I mean proper muscle tension, mostly whole body flexing. quite a few people can do the mastery requirements, but I want it to be perfect when I do it. sometimes I enjoy making the exercise harder by changing joint angles or tempo.  keeps things fun.

Cannister

I too achieved mastery of Deck Squats before starting Foundation but when I tried Cossack squats on my first day I felt pain in my knees in the first few reps.  I immediately jumped back down to deck squats (starting at week 9) and when I started my second cycle I didn't bother to test Cossack Squats for mastery - i just started at week 1.  I can do them pain free and I really love the twisting squats.

 

I've had a history of knee problems due to neglecting my legs while training for rock climbing so this program is really perfect for me.  This is definitely an area where the name foundation really rings true.

Erik Bowling
TheLastCareBear said:

I'm curious if anyone is starting Foundation one from Week 1 Day 1 even though they clearly could start somewhere more advanced in the program.  If so why? Are there benefits to doing this?

 

I'm considering doing foundation 1 this way even though I could start somehwere more advanced in the program. I'm considering this because Foundation 1 is going to be my first serious fitness routine since i had Ingunial hernia surgery 3 months ago, and I still worry that I might re-injure myself or not build proper core  strength for the more advanced stuff later.

I started at week 1 day 1 for two reasons. First, I'd never done mobility work along with my regular work sets. In the past I would stretch and do light warm ups, but never did any specific mobility work. Since it's importance was stressed throughout the book I figured I would simply go head and start from the bottom up. The second reason was that some of the early exercises I had never done before and felt that if they were included there had to be something specific about that particular movement was considered important for progression.

 

Beyond that, I've tested myself on certain exercises that I haven't done since I began Foundation 1; simple things like a standard pull up. I've noticed I can actually do more of them now with better range of motion(each with bar hitting the chest) despite not bothering to do them during my workout.

TheLastCareBear

Thanks for all your replies! After reading what you all had to say, I will be starting from the beginning to give more time and focus to form and mobility. 

Since it's going to be relatively easy in the first cycle or 2, I think ill throw in some pullups and extra pushups at the end of the workouts just to keep it somewhat intense.