This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Headstand on what type of ground?

Started by Michael Ho, March 15, 2013 · 16 Replies · 490 Views

Michael Ho

Hey all,

 

Since starting H1, I've just been wondering which type of ground everyone uses for headstands?

 

I've done headstands previously on carpet with a pillow, however, last week I decided to do it on my hard wooden floor.

 

It hurts like crazy... (good job its a deload week) but definitely made the move less passive in comparison to my head being cushioned.

 

Is it okay to do it on hard ground? Any side effects I should be worried about?

 

 

RandomHavoc

I'm quite certain you will get used to the feeling in no time. There is nothing dangerous about it. But you can always transition to harder surfaces if you wish.

MvdB

I did many headstands (and headspins) on hard surfaces when I still played capoeira. You will get used to the feeling.

 

Nowadays, I prefer using a Manduka yoga mat (head on the mat, hands on the floor). It's a pretty tough mat and not very thick but it gives just a little touch of comfort.

 

Whatever you use, it needs to be pretty firm, it's not a good idea to wobble on top of a mattress.

Klaudius Petrulis

I use a toque, and hardwood floor.

 

I was using a towel, but the sliding was too dangerous.

stefanhinote

10"x10"x1/4" piece of foam. :)

JamesP

It depends on what you're comfortable with. At first I did it on carpet and eventually graduated to being able to do it on tile/marble and wooden floors. I've built a headstand almost like a Shaolin monk... lol.

rynski

I've been doing mine on 1 x 1 metre rubber square flooring - you can pick these up at most hardware stores relatively cheap. I paid $10.00 & I live in Australia ha ha. 

 

It definitely takes away that discomfort you can get when performing them on hard ground. Having said that though i'm sure if you keep performing them this way you'll more than likely just get use to it!

Michael Ho

Yeh I think I'll keep on the hard ground, I can feel it doesn't hurt as much already - did 4x48s today.

 

Feels like subtle movements will change the position of the HS as well on hard ground, compared to the softer ground, so I have to really focus and not be as relaxed

Joshua Slocum

I wouldn't worry too much about putting something soft beneath your head. Unless you plan on continuing to practice headstands after masting the headstand PE's, there's little to be gained from enduring the pain. 

 

On the other hand, if you do plan on doing lots of headstands on hard surfaces, I don't think there are any negative long-term effects you might suffer from not using a cushion. 

strme

i use wood floor. and if i want something softer i use camping mat and i put carpet on top of mat..  so surface are not sticky to the body without t-shirt

Keilani Gutierrez

if you're going to do it on a comfortable surface, make sure you properly place your head on the correct position(on the spot where newborn babies are soft) which is not directly on top of your head, nor on your forehead. it's on a crease in the middle where you feel a small indentation. 

 

when doing this on a hard(er) surface, please do the same. protect your head and your neck/spine(it's important)

B1214N

I do it on my hard bed lol. It is still softer than the floor due to the thin mattress which can sort of replicate a mat, but it is still hard enough for me to balance on stably.  

Michael Ho
KeilaniG said:

if you're going to do it on a comfortable surface, make sure you properly place your head on the correct position(on the spot where newborn babies are soft) which is not directly on top of your head, nor on your forehead. it's on a crease in the middle where you feel a small indentation. 

 

when doing this on a hard(er) surface, please do the same. protect your head and your neck/spine(it's important)

 

So do you mean the part between top of head and forehead?

 

I have been doing the headstands on the top of my head I think...

Alessandro Mainente

i've never did the headstand in the front part, maybe cause lots of headspin i usually do. of course if you follow the headstand of H1 is easier to hold. maintain the straight body using the middle part of head is more difficult but the sensation of balance is better.

Keilani Gutierrez
Michael Ho said:

So do you mean the part between top of head and forehead?

 

I have been doing the headstands on the top of my head I think...

precisely. it feels wierd at first, if you've never done it before but it's more stable. 

Michael Ho

I just tried it today and it put a lot of pressure on my neck.

 

Should I just stick to the top of my head?unless its the way my headstand is aligned - so might need to video for form.

 

Also anyone else get serious tricep cramp during headstands?

Keilani Gutierrez
Michael Ho said:

I just tried it today and it put a lot of pressure on my neck.

Should I just stick to the top of my head?unless its the way my headstand is aligned - so might need to video for form.

Also anyone else get serious tricep cramp during headstands?

not here. i'd recommend doing the video because the safest way to do the headstands(for your necks health) is the area where I described. proper alignment will help you