This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Muscle Ups

Started by David Birchall, March 15, 2013 · 20 Replies · 917 Views

David Birchall

Will the MU transition be covered within RC or HBP or will it even be covered at all in F1?

I want to get a bar MU and I was wondering if I should add extra training in to achieve this alongside F1,2,,3,4 & H1.

Christian

Muscle ups come after RC is mastered i think, but HBP might contain russian dips, so you have your transition training there if it does.

Cole Dano

Christian is correct, get your RC first.

Hercules

I've seen it said that Muscle up training comes in F2 - F4. 

 

Until then you could add in a few sets of russian dips and false grip pull ups once or twice a week after you've done the foundation workout. If you're capable, adding in slow negatives will help, but keep the volume low (1 or 2 reps per session, as slow as possible through the transition, again, once or twice a week).

Don't push anything with muscle up training, otherwise you'll injure yourself.

 

But until then you've got the rest of F1 to master.

Joshua Slocum

I'd be surprised if someone who'd mastered RC/PE6 and HBP/PE6 couldn't already perform a muscle-up. 

MMarty

Surprise, I can't :D Well, I can do MU on bar with a kip, but I am not gonna count that.

Alessandro Mainente

i don't know what elements are covered with F2-F4, but if at the of F4 you are able to do RC with the hardest version...mu won't be a problem

Joshua Slocum
MMarty said:

Surprise, I can't :D Well, I can do MU on bar with a kip, but I am not gonna count that.

And you can do HBP/PE6 and RC/PE6 at mastery-level? 

MMarty

Yes. I also did lots of weighted dips/pullups in the past, so I guess my problem is mostly in technique - however, I can't do proper slow muscle up yet ( on bar). And I lack the strength in false grip and support position on rings.

Coach Sommer

Mastering RC prior to beginning dedicated muscle up training makes the entire process much easier.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MMarty

I have never trained for MUs - that's probably the reason, why I can't do them. Well, I tried them on occasion, but they never were priority in my routine. I guess that if I spend some time mastering the transition, I'll be able do them.

 

BTW: What is considered by mastering RC? Just mastering the basic rope climb (without legs) or being able to do Cirques (I hope it is the the right name - RC in straddle L with long negative holds on descent)?

ausswe

I would be surprised if someone who mastered RC/pe6 and HBP/pe6 COULD do muscle ups.... i can do 15 dips hollow body shoulders close to hands in the bottom position as well as 5m rope climbs sitting in a slightly lower than horiztonal straddle L now thanks to not doing any stretching in a while and muscle ups are really quite hard for me.  usually only get one at a time kipping and not all the time.

although mastering F4 makes me think a muscle up should be no problem by that point

Klaudius Petrulis

A muscle up is not about strength.  It is about skill.  If you can do 5 good ring dips, and 5 good ring pull-ups, all you need to do is work on the transition.

Joshua Slocum
Klaudius Petrulis said:

A muscle up is not about strength.  It is about skill.  If you can do 5 good ring dips, and 5 good ring pull-ups, all you need to do is work on the transition.

The transition requires strength, too, which is independent of dips and pull-ups. 

Klaudius Petrulis

I couldn't do a muscle-up at all last year, but then I attended a workshop, practiced the transition, and the next week I did a sloppy but acceptable muscle-up. You do need strength, but I found the transition was the hard part, along with having a _good_ pull-up.

Jon Douglas

I have 5+ slow narrow/medium, 3+ wide mu in a row, was working on edging out a no false grip one before F1 came out, am comfortable with cirques-- and am having an long, intimate, somewhat painful relationship with not passing RC PE6.

I have no doubt this element in particular carries over strongly to MU.

But frankly I'm happy to wait, iron out my foundation and pattern an overall better MU from the ground up.

 

Just noting it works both ways ^_^

Mark Collins

I have a bar and ring MU with a kip that I got following BtGB book. I am doing strict ring MU with a band assist once a week while I wait for my RC to improve. I found the dip and pull up component easy, but had a weak transition. My transition is improving each week by doing 3x3-5.

Eric HARDOUIN

Well, to add a bit to this I have a controlled ring MU but could not even pass the first 60s set of RC PE6 (I went back to PE1, now ending PE2, actually...) 

But can do russian dips like 5 in a row.

I just can't imagine how easy MU will be once I have mastered RC and HBP PE6 :)

B1214N
Hari_Seldon said:

I'd be surprised if someone who'd mastered RC/PE6 and HBP/PE6 couldn't already perform a muscle-up. 

 

 

Charm said:

I have 5+ slow narrow/medium, 3+ wide mu in a row, was working on edging out a no false grip one before F1 came out, am comfortable with cirques-- and am having an long, intimate, somewhat painful relationship with not passing RC PE6.

I have no doubt this element in particular carries over strongly to MU.

But frankly I'm happy to wait, iron out my foundation and pattern an overall better MU from the ground up.

 

Just noting it works both ways ^_^

I don't see how RC PE6 carries over strongly to MU. Maybe a fast MU, but not a slow one. The hardest part of a MU is the transition and that takes some specific exercises to build. A bent arm hang does not stress the muscles in a way similar enough to the transition and the mastery of it is 5x60s which is endurance oriented and not strength oriented where people new to MUs will usually find that they do not have enough strength for the transition.

Leo Trinidad
B1214N said:

I don't see how RC PE6 carries over strongly to MU. Maybe a fast MU, but not a slow one. The hardest part of a MU is the transition and that takes some specific exercises to build. A bent arm hang does not stress the muscles in a way similar enough to the transition and the mastery of it is 5x60s which is endurance oriented and not strength oriented where people new to MUs will usually find that they do not have enough strength for the transition.

i think it will provide you good foundation for the slow MU. slow MU is taxing particularly in the elbow. RC PE6 is very good in strengthening the elbow too. i'm so happy with this exercise. hopefully, i master it before F2 comes along..  :D

Jon Douglas
B1214N said:

I don't see how RC PE6 carries over strongly to MU. Maybe a fast MU, but not a slow one. The hardest part of a MU is the transition and that takes some specific exercises to build. A bent arm hang does not stress the muscles in a way similar enough to the transition and the mastery of it is 5x60s which is endurance oriented and not strength oriented where people new to MUs will usually find that they do not have enough strength for the transition.

I don't mean achieving one's first muscle up, I mean ironing it out. Hollow holds aren't going to get one a front lever either, but they will iron it out. Doing the holds initially put stress on my elbows/biceps that felt very similar to doing the hard MU variations I can do.

There's no science here, just a subjective feeling. The muscles aren't the issue, it's the joints I'm thinking of.