"Heavy" landings

Started by gilad10e, March 15, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,181 Views

gilad10e

Recently I got my front/back tuck and I got height (I think) but when I land (usually in the front tuck) I slam my feet at the ground (you can hear noise at the landing) and it hurts sometimes. In the gym it doesn't hurt because of the mats but on grass it hurts.

 

Got some advice?

 

Thank you :)

acrobatlegend

You are probably going forward more in your front tuck instead of going UP and tucking. 

I recommend setting up a spring board with an 8 inch mat or sting mat in front of it. Take a few steps, punch with straight legs hard, ride it up and then tuck and land. Focus on not going forward but UP. This drill will help you learn how to punch and help your body understand how it must tuck and then untuck and land. 

I like this drill better than just setting on a trampoline because the landing is firmer and a spring board, I dunno just feels better and more realistic to a spring floor. 

Joshua Slocum
gilad10e said:

Recently I got my front/back tuck and I got height (I think) but when I land (usually in the front tuck) I slam my feet at the ground (you can hear noise at the landing) and it hurts sometimes. In the gym it doesn't hurt because of the mats but on grass it hurts.

 

Got some advice?

 

Thank you :)

 

Point your toes.

 

No, seriously.

 

When you're doing a front-tuck, pointing your toes lets you feel the ground a split second before your heels hit. That moment of anticipation is enough for you to make the landing soft. 

 

 

Your troubles could also be related to acrobatlegend's suggestion.

gilad10e

Thank you!!!

I focused on going up and pointing my toes, now my landing is MUCH MUCH better!

lol but the first time I tried to point my toes I landed on my finger XD

I showed my front tuck to my coach and now we are working on front handspring front tuck :)

 

Thank you

Joshua Slocum

Glad to hear we could help!