Question about Foundation 1 and Running

Started by Guest, March 15, 2013 · 7 Replies · 3,769 Views

Guest

Hello all!

 

I have been lurking these forums for awhile now, and have finally decided to post a question I have. I am a cross country runner for my high school, with relatively fast times (17:49 5k, 4:54 1600, I am a Freshman). I have seriously been considering getting Foundation 1. I have always been intrigued by GST, and Foundation 1, as the reviews/topics in the forums say, is great for all levels. So my question is this:

 

Will my running hinder my Foundation 1 work? Running will continue to come first all the time, and I do strength training on the side (chinups/pullups, pushups, squats occasionally, mobility work, and I enjoy elbow levers). I will be able to do Foundation work 5 times a week, although I will start at 3 days.

 

Just in case, here are my strength levels now: ~8 second one arm negative each arm (chinup grip), 5-10 second one arm lock off with 20 lb added (varies, and this is where I am in the top of the chin up holding on with one arm), a crappy advanced tuck front lever for about 10 seconds, middle finger dead hang (1 finger each arm, 2 total), elbow lever for as long as I want (working on the one armed), very comfortable german hang with supinated grip. I also eat excellent, but eat what I can, when I can, although no fast food ever, or anything I really don't need. Only drink water, eat vegetables/fruits lunch/dinner/snack.

 

My long term goals are OAC, full lay front lever, handstand, one armed elbow lever, and to improve my running. I would also like to NOT gain any size. I have fluctuated between 130-140 for a year or so now, and would like to stay as lean as possible (obviously I cannot stop my bones from growing and with them weight gain).

 

Everyone who posts here is great, the information you guys post is excellent. Thank you so much, and Coach Sommer and everyone else keep up the great work you guys are doing.

FredInChina

Sub 5 a mile & sub 18 5K are good times, congratulations; how long have you been running?

How old are you?

 

I think you should go ahead with F1 to replace your actual push & pull.

 

Will your running hinder your foundation building? I can't answer that, it is for you to determine what your priorities are. :)

Surely there will be some sort of interference, but maybe that is a good thing?

Klaudius Petrulis

If you start at an appropriate level and follow the program accordingly I don't see an issue. Either way there are always methods to scale down either one.

Guest

Fred, I have been running competitively for about 2 1/2 years now, however, when I was young I would run a mile or so each day. I am 15. My running is not at its full potential, though.

FredInChina
Awarenesss said:

(...) when I was young (...) I am 15.

My running is not at its full potential, though.

 

When were you young? :blink:

It's okay, you have plenty of time to bring this running to potential. You need time, volume, effort and a good coach. :)

Klaudius Petrulis
Awarenesss said:

when I was young

 

I am 15.

:lol:

Mats Trane

The (leg) mobility exercises in F1 will probably prevent future injuries in your running. There is some great stuff in there for you.

Joshua Naterman

You may need to eat a little more, but that will be for you to figure out.

 

The single most important thing for you to do is to eat a crapton of veggies, because that will help protect you from stress fractures more than anything else you can do. The second most important thing you can do is the leg work in F1, like Mats mentioned.

 

There shouldn't be any conflicts between F1 and your running, particularly on the 3 day schedule, but I find that I just eat a bit more and I can do at least an hour of cardio per on most days and not have any issues getting stronger and maintaining or gaining weight, and I'm on the 5 day schedule.

 

Good luck with your running!