camera checking posture

Started by irongymnast, March 14, 2013 · 5 Replies · 2,282 Views

irongymnast

There was a video (more than a year ago) showing a gymnast on the rings (I think it was Yuri van Gelder) with a computer vision system. A camera tracked his movements and the computer analyzed the joint position (it could show if an elbow was bent during ring giants for example). 

 

I can't find it, anyone knows which video I'm referring to?

irongymnast

Bump

Patrick Smith

No idea, irongymnast, but it sounds pretty complex.

Daniel Shields

Kinovea is cool piece of free and open source software that lets you do motion tracking, as well as some other nifty things.

http://www.kinovea.org/

 

Its a lot easier to use productively with weight lifting than gymnastics because the movements are so much simpler. Its particularly nice for analyzing olympic lifts. If you take a side profile view, and tracking the end of the barbell, you can create a motion path. The s shaped bar path of a good lift is relatively easy to recognize. I'm sure that you could find uses for it in gymnastics with a bit of creativity.

irongymnast

stefanhinote thanks! That is it! 

 

Daniel, excellent link also, thanks! Do you know of other programs that can do motion tracking?