I am really enjoying the unexpected challenges of F1 and H1.Now that I have spent a few sessions attempting mastery of the various H1 elements, I have found my starting places in the different exercises and have begun the cycling proper. My only concern is that I am currently working on HS/PE2 at the week 6 stage, which means that I won't be doing any handstands for some considerable time. Previous to F1 and H1 I have spent a few years practicing handstands and have developed the 'feel' for balancing with fingers and the ability to do 5 freestanding HeSPU (on a good day
). I would like to maintain this feel for balancing, but recognise the value in following the program as written. Would it be of greater benefit for me to start back at the beginning with H1 and redevelop the balance when I get to that stage, or try to maintain some form of handstand in addition to the preparatory work?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Losing the 'feel' for balancing
Started by Michael Taylor, March 14, 2013 · 13 Replies · 396 Views
Good question Michael ![]()
HeSPU is a completely different line, there is no reason not to continue to maintain that.
With HS balance in general, I it's the same as maintaining any other element you've gotten already and don't want to loose.
Do the program as written to fill in your weak links, but then after completion feel free to do some extra work to maintain what you've already achieved.
This is what I've been doing and am comfortable with it. If for some reason some of the more demanding steps HS/PE7-12 are taxing you, you might also do the balance work first.
Thanks Cole. The reason I was considering whether I needed to stop HS practice is that I know I am tight through the shoulders and this will be impacting on my alignment. I didn't necessarily want to be reverse engineering a new, cleaner HS line whilst reinforcing old habits under the guise of keeping an acquired skill. The question came to mind when I saw a reply from Coach Sommer to a poster that had injured his serratus that he should not be doing HS through the PE phase of work
At that point you just have to be your best critic and decide if your form is so bad that you shouldn't be doing the HeSPU's or not.
Understood. Thankyou for your reply
It is not really the HeSPU that is important to me - at least not from a strengthening point of view. I am more than happy that F1 will answer those conditioning needs and I can forego it.
Again, to achieve a freestanding HeSPU, it took me a long time to develop balance through the movement and to gain control over it. It is the skill element that I would like to keep, even if a bit rough - which is where my question came from. Would I be better served stripping right back and relearning through H1, or keep my current abilities and attempt to adjust them to the required form as I loosen up through H1?
This makes it sound as if my form is bad - it isn't (or at least, i don't think it is
) - it's just that I don't feel that it is as optimal as it could be when looking ahead in the course (and from my attempts at some of the iM
). From your response, I think that I could throw in some easy HS practice after my H1 sessions, trying to keep to the best shape I can and maintaining the 'feel' to the microadjustments necessary for balance. Hopefully my line should improve as I progress. I will also do a couple of freestanding HeSPU singles to keep that groove (which i am hoping will be of benefit as I progress through HBP
)
If you have bad habits, continuing to practice them will reinforce those habits. Abandoning your current handstand and re-learning it in due time will give you a fresher start. If you've been doing handstands for a while, it will not take you long to re-learn the balancing technique.
So it's largely a question of how your form is now. If it's pretty good, but just needs a little cleaning up or is restricted largely by mobility, you'll probably be fine continuing to practice it (and making constant efforts to improve it with the things that Handstand 1 teaches you). If your form is mediocre, you'd probably be better served dropping it and coming back later when you're better prepared.
- If you already have a handstand, then maintain it with supplemental HS work as you progress thru H1.
- If your handstand is already proficient, you will loose very little "feel" in such a short block of time. However if the decrease in performance is substantial, perhaps your HS was not as nearly as far along as you thought! ![]()
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
- Do not be overly concerned about the width. Everyone has a personal preference.
- I would prefer flatter hips (a slight pike is present) and more PPT, but over all not bad.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks Coach!
I feel encouraged to keep HS practice alongside my H1 and will work on these points as my mobility improves. ![]()
Nice Michael!
I do know that your toepoint can be better ![]()
41yr old stiff ankles 😊
SLS/PE4>iM will fix that