This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need a lot of help; lpullups,dips,etc

Started by Robmob, March 13, 2013 · 3 Replies · 43 Views

Robmob

Ill do a quick summary of what i did today and my general progress.

Im using F1 as well as what was supplied during the september seminar which is why im posting here.

Note that i havent been able to complete a cycle yet (since october) due to various health issues

Im on the 9th week so im trying to do:

LPullups

Hollow Back Hold (Front  Lever)

Straight Arm Crowstand

Ring Dips


LPullups: Before starting BtGB i could do 8 strict dead hang pullups. Altough I can complete 4*4 pullups (this weeks workout) i cant do so in the L position. I already posted about this, altough i dont have cramps in the legs,now I dont know how to describe my problem really. Basically i can do about 1 rep with good form, then my legs bend a bit, then i start going into a V position, and at some point my reps are literally half pullups, because i cant do them properly. Last week in the deload it was going real well except for the last set, however today was horrible. I ended up doing plain old dead hang pullups because i didnt want to waste the day.What can i do to be able to do more ROM in this position and generally make it stronger?

I was told to do Leg Raises, currently I can perform a couple 5-7 hanging half leg raises, at a 2,0.5,2 tempo (yes i can hardly hold the position in the middle). I will start using them as my workout once i finish the Vups cycle.

 

HBH, even worse. I started out the cycle doing HBH Rocks, on the 7th week i realised i cant do this anymore and went down a step to the plain HBH, today while working for 48 second sets I could do the first set, and then about 20 seconds for two more sets and i had to stop doing it altogether due to an incredible pain. Not discomfort, proper pain. Should i go down even further?

 

Dips, I used to be doing Single Bar Underhand Dips, due to not having a proper pullup bar back in september (only a doorway bar),which i didnt trust enough to do Korean Dips. Now that i have a proper bar i dont do the dips because im to scared to do them, everytime im on the top of a muscle up and want to turn around i get really scared and jump down. Im planning on buying a ladder to aid this. So instead i started doing ring dips, which work quite well. The question here is: is it okay to skip the korean dips for now and just finish the cycle with the ring dips?

 

To not lose HeSPU strength i also did a couple of them the past weeks,however now i have back pains when doing them and willhave to wait till i can afford H1 to solve this.

 

The crowstand was solid and dont have any complaints about it.

 

I also curled and benched, which went much better than the gymnastics portion. 

 

And finally now, a good hour after, my left hand has a sharp pain in the middle, i took ibuprofen and used some cream, what may have caused this and what is a good treatment in future cases?

 

Excuse my long and probably too detailed post, im just extremely confused about my workout and need a little of advice on each segment.
Thanks

Robert

raja

I would suggest working on the hanging leg raises and another pulling movement, such as the wide pull up. If you cannot do a full ROM HLR, I don't believe you have any business working the L Pull Ups.

 

You should probably cut the times on the hollow body holds.

 

Finding a better setup for korean dips will help with the fear. If nothing else, I'd suggest you work up to RTO dips on the rings. They are essentially korean dips on the rings, but are more difficult than the bar variation. This would obviously go after you have achieved proficiency in regular ring dips.

 

H1 does not address handstand pushups. Back pain is a bad sign, so I would suggest to avoid the movement until the pain disappears. Is your form strict? You should be doing them chest to wall, with no arch in the back during the entire ROM.

Robmob

Thanks for the reply

I used to do them back to wall for a long time (convict conditioning) and now i pay the price. As I said, ill wait till I can afford H1.

 

To tackle korean dips im thinking of buying a ladder. And about the RTO dips, ill look into them once I end this seemingly infnite cycle.

 

Yeah ill cut them till the next cycle where i will start the cycle with them, and hope that by the end of that one Ill have become better.

 

Full ROM HLR are feet to face? If so ill just do wide pullups to complete the cycle and start with them or a harder variation on the next cycle.


In a nutshell:

                     Next cycle ill do:

   Ring Dips/Korean Dips/KoreanRing Dips

   Hanging Leg Raises

   Wide Pullups or something harder that i can do 5 series of more or less

   HBH

   No HeSPU unless I have H1

   SL Pe1

   Single leg squats

Thanks again and excuse my horrible writing in the first post, i was just a bit twisted after a disapointing gym session

raja

Here is what I would recommend:

Work on half hanging leg raises. Perhaps include isometric holds at the weak angle(90 degrees of hip flexion) as supplemental work.

Ring dips. Once you can do 5x5, I would suggest you start a new phase, this time trying to keep the rings turned out as much as possible during the full ROM.

Wide pull ups. If they are too easy, you may want to move on to something a little more difficult such as tuck/flat tuck front lever rows.

Hollow body hold, focusing on quality sets with the same amount of time per set.

 

Remember, quality of movement is just as important as reps, sets, and tempo.