This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Perfect form, is it strength work or skill work?

Started by Erik Rissanen, March 13, 2013 · 2 Replies · 273 Views

Erik Rissanen

Okidoki, I got my videos of myself and my form is not as good as I thought. ;) Though I can do what I thought I can do, it does not look as elegant and effortless as in the course videos.

 

So, I am wondering, what is most efficient in the long term, in terms of reaching the perfect form of the end goals of the F series? Should I stick to an exercise and train it until it's perfect one by one, or should I go on when I can do it even if it does not look as pretty as in the course videos, and perfect the elegance over time?

 

Is there a skill element to it? I am afraid that if I stick to each exercise until I have it super smooth before progressing, I might be holding back my strenght development. I was thinking that it might be better to progress a step or two while perhaps perfectig the form in warmup. Am I wrong here?

 

Don't get me wrong here. My end goal is to complete each step with perfect form, but I am thinking it might be more efficient to perfect the form after I have gained the strenght a step or two beyond the given level.

 

(Naturally, I would not be moving forward like this unless I can fully do the associated iM.)

Keilani Gutierrez
Erik Rissanen said:

Okidoki, I got my videos of myself and my form is not as good as I thought. ;) Though I can do what I thought I can do, it does not look as elegant and effortless as in the course videos.

 

So, I am wondering, what is most efficient in the long term, in terms of reaching the perfect form of the end goals of the F series? Should I stick to an exercise and train it until it's perfect one by one, or should I go on when I can do it even if it does not look as pretty as in the course videos, and perfect the elegance over time?

you are right in your thinking of following the prescribed PE & iM. working the prescribed task at hand, will give you more than enough time  to iron out the little details because most of the earlier PE's do focus on creating strength, but since they are so preliminary, they will do a job of 1. creating strength/mobility in "places we didn't know we had" 2. program proper motor patterns 3. give us endurance from the ground up or the basic elements of what we want to achieve. as long as you focus on doing quality work, you will receive quality feedback from your body unless there is an underlying injury which needs to be worked on with maybe a small microcycle or perhaps a health specialist, if you suffered a serious injury.

Erik Rissanen said:

Is there a skill element to it? I am afraid that if I stick to each exercise until I have it super smooth before progressing, I might be holding back my strenght development. I was thinking that it might be better to progress a step or two while perhaps perfectig the form in warmup. Am I wrong here?

yes, there is a skill element, based in movement, how to make static shapes, point your toes, protract here, making correct adjustments there. you are also right in your thinking that stagnating on a particular element will eventually make progress come to a halt, it's meant to be worked, mastered and eventually used as a warm up for prehabilitative and warm up purposes. 

Erik Rissanen said:

Don't get me wrong here. My end goal is to complete each step with perfect form, but I am thinking it might be more efficient to perfect the form after I have gained the strenght a step or two beyond the given level.

 

(Naturally, I would not be moving forward like this unless I can fully do the associated iM.)

you should master all preliminary PE's and iM's to not quantify the possibility of encouraging a injury, you will notice that as you become stronger in the micro, the macro will become much easier, which will have a direct result in the quality of the micro, if you keep it part of your regime. 

 

for example, if you do pushups without proper moving your shoulder blades, thats why Scapular Shrugs are there, to then transfer what you learned in Scapular shrugs and then apply what you learned to a more adv. element like pushups and eventually PPP and so forth, focusing on the basics is like mixing the cement, its boring but its part of the process of building the temple which is your body. 

 

honor the basics and the basics will honor your temple. 

FredInChina

The F1 documents say mastery before moving on :)